Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Sexist remarks in TV shows

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sexist remarks in TV shows
vegansusie
Neophyte
Member # 47457

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vegansusie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there! I think that since this area of the message boards is dedicated solely to sex in the media, this would be a good place for me to bring up the topic with like-minded people.

My question, I suppose, is what anti-woman remarks you've seen in TV shows (particularly shows aimed for the youth demographic), and how you feel about them.

One example that I'd like to bring up is the show iCarly, which is aimed at young teenagers on the channel TeenNick. (I feel that this show is trite and completely unentertaining, but that's completely beside the point...) In one episode, a "joke" that is repeated two or three times is "what are you, my wife? in an exasperated voice toward a character that is perceived as being naggy and irrational. This is completely unacceptable and offensive in my eyes. I strongly resent statements that imply that the most irritating and awful thing you can be...is a woman. This "insult" was even directed at a male character on one occasion. I feel that this is indicative of hostility toward women and their complete right to express legitimate emotions without being belittled. It plays along with the notion of "hysteria" - a word which, of course, stems from the belief that unfounded female emotions arise from the uterus.

These are my impassioned responses. I hope that you find this subject as important as I do, because I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Posts: 2 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
patteLePugh
Neophyte
Member # 45486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for patteLePugh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know the iCarly. I used to watch it, and I know the episode you are talking about it. I have noticed that the media has been getting more rude and sexual over the time. I remember the good old days when I wasn't aloud to watch Dexters Lab cus' one of the characters always say 'stupid.'

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That
way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away - and barefoot.

Posts: 19 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natalie H
Activist
Member # 48229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natalie H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't find it sexist, because I don't see it as them saying the worst thing to be is a woman, but rather being a wife. There's a running gag (on all kinds of shows from all kinds of times) of wives being naggy and annoying, it's a stereotype that (in my opinion) was started by men who found being married confining and tiresome. And irritating, apparently. I don't condone that stereotype, by the way. If you think your wife is annoying, irriating, and tiresome than why would you marry her in the first place?

But it's just a joke. People know that being married isn't like 'a ball and chain', most people do anyway. And they know wives aren't necessarily a pain in the ***. What you have to keep in mind, ESPECIALLY when watching kids shows, is that it's just a joke, and isn't meant to offend people.

I actually really like iCarly because it seems to break the mold in 'formula' television. The way a lot of tv is, there's the kids stuff and there's the adult stuff, and not a lot of gray area. iCarly's a kid show, but there's some adult factors. I think what I'm trying to say is, it's a TEEN show, that actually seems a lot 'safer' and 'cleaner' than a lot of other shows that are aimed at teenagers (Degrassi for one). And not only is it ok for a younger audience to watch, but it also has a lot of good influence. Eating healthy, being eco-friendly, promoting creativity and being unique.

Now wait a few hours for Degrassi to come on and you'll find yourself more influenced to get drunk at parties and hook up with your friends, start fights with people and yell at your parents. Don't get me started on Gossip Girl. I'm not saying the shows are saying, 'Hey do this' but it certainly does portray those actions to be quite 'glamorous'.

I think I kinda got off topic, but how about this? I'd rather see people in this topic criticizing shows that are aimed at the teen audience that are WAY out of line (also WAY popular) rather than a kids show, for being overly sexual and offensive. iCarly, to me, is a lot better for teens to watch and laugh at a few adultish jokes and not get wrapped up in the drama of what I call 'teenaged soap operas'.

--------------------
Bicycle? I prefer a homocycle.

Posts: 118 | From: Houston | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dare2Btopfree
Neophyte
Member # 50133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dare2Btopfree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vegansusie, I totally respect and agree with your commentary. The stereotype of wives being "nagging" happens because of patriarchy. A patriarchy culture focuses on men, their needs, their perspectives, their ways of acting and interacting, and therefore, they are oftentimes inadequate as attentive, intuitive and responsible husbands. The wife's exasperation and perseverance in having to repeat herself is merely a result of this unequal status quo.
Posts: 2 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.