Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Jezebel: "turn the volume down on consent" (!?)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jezebel: "turn the volume down on consent" (!?)
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Icon 8 posted      Profile for SnailShells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jezebel promotes itself as a feminist blog, but an article I came across today made me absolutely ill.

American Guy In Paris Freed From The Idea of "Consent"

http://jezebel.com/5691871/american-guy-in-paris-freed-from-the-idea-of-consent

The article (written by a male author) is essentially saying "If frigid American women would just relax and start 'understanding the game' of men groping them, plying them with alcohol and forcing their attention on them, and not make such a friggin' big deal about consenting to sex, then we could be as sexually liberated as France!"

Oh?

The article includes such gems as this:

"Thinking about sex as decision — and not an action requiring consent — may in this way be empowering. A decision is an action that can be neutral and value-independent in a way that offering consent simply cannot."

"I'm not suggesting that a woman have sex with someone she doesn't want to, but I'm hoping we can start having more guilt-free sex by any means necessary. If we turn the volume down on consent, perhaps we'll get closer to this kind of liberation."

...the f*** did I just read?!

This flavor of "Don't get your panties in a knot!" cultural rape-apologist bulls*** is especially repulsive in light of recent statistics on rape in France: http://sarahgraham7.tumblr.com/post/1668804315/viol-la-honte-doit-changer-de-campe

I am mostly confused as to what this article is doing on a website like Jezebel, that tries very hard to maintain a liberal, feminist reputation and atmosphere. As one commenter put it, "So ... his views don't "necessarily" represent the views of this site. Then why is this article here? Unless this is a blatant ploy for commenter controversy and s***-stirring, I'm at a loss for a reason."

...anyway, I hope everyone is enjoying their holiday [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
“I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty.” --John Waters

Posts: 206 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treetops
Activist
Member # 44381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treetops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[I'd warn that the article is potentially triggering]

I saw this too and was similarly squicked by it. Some people in the comments seem to think that it's a deliberate attempt by Jezebel to get pageviews by posting something controversial.

Whether or not that's true, it was a shitty decision and not one that a truly feminist site would have made. It wasn't even posted with a disclaimer originally, and even now has a very wishy-washy one.

It's not even as if it's a potentially interesting alternative viewpoint; it's just the same kind of rape-apologist bullshit we're surrounded by anyway. Surely feminist sites should be safe spaces from that kind of stuff? (Although Jezebel doesn't have a great record on that front anyway.)
It's also pretty offensively making a lot of sweeping generalisations about the French, Parisians, Parisian women/men etc without ever actually using the actual words or thoughts of an actual Parisian person. It comes across to me like someone who's been on a gap year and is trying really hard to appear cultured, when actually all he's done is mooch around wishing it were more acceptable to assault women.

It's pretty poorly-written as well; the thread of the argument doesn't follow through the piece and it's very poorly structured. It shouldn't have been published on those grounds, let alone anything else.

[ 11-25-2010, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: treetops ]

Posts: 161 | From: europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I confess, I couldn't even make myself go read this. Thankfully, I've never been under any illusion that Jezebel was anything even remotely resembling a feminist publication. Lots of things call themselves feminist that clearly aren't, so anyone just calling themselves feminist never tends to give me much information that someone or something is.

The sad part is that there are a couple women who write for them who really are strong feminist writers with great points of view and really valuable things to say. I'd love to link to their work, because some of their pieces have been so good, but I've just always refused to give Jezebel and their parent company any more income. [Frown]

So, this, for me, is just one more in a long litany of reasons to avoid them and keep the same stance about them I've always had.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treetops
Activist
Member # 44381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treetops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've never read Jezebel particularly as it didn't really grab me. I knew it called itself a feminist site, and I'd heard about problems with it before, but I'd been linked to some interesting feminist articles there so hmm.

Seems you're right though Heather, I won't be visiting the site again. I think I hadn't grasped just how crappy it was.

On the upside, there are many awesome feminist resources on the 'net. Wonder if there's a thread anywhere on this board where people can post their favourite feminist linkys. If not, we should totally start one.

[ 11-26-2010, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: treetops ]

Posts: 161 | From: europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed! Start away!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.