Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Lesbian novels

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lesbian novels
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm looking for some good lesbian novels. I want something contemporary (say, written and taking place after 1980), but if there's one you love that's older, let me know.

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a huge fan of Sarah Waters' work, and also remain ever-devoted to Rita Mae Brown.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Annie on my Mind" by Nancy Garden, hands down. It's from 1982, so it's a bit older, but I found it at the library ten years ago when I was just starting to come to terms with my sexuality, and it went a long way in making me feel better about myself.

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 8995 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found "Annie on my Mind" about ten years ago too, I should look back at it.

I've tried to read Sarah Waters a few times but couldn't get into it. I think it's the sort of thing where I'll pick up a book of hers again at some point and love it. I'd also like to try Rita Mae Brown but I don't think it's what I'm in the mood for right now.

I want something that's more familiar to me. Like something from the perspective of a college student, or like a marriage novel. Like an adult smart dyke going about her life in recent times--everyday things, interpersonal things, work, relationships, being alone, around people.

People I've read who have the flavor of what I'm after but aren't writing about lesbians are Ann Beattie, Francine Prose and Jane Smiley. I also really like Michael Cunningham--something like "A Home at the End of the World" or with the kind of characters/atmosphere in the modern chapters in "The Hours" is what I'm jonesing for.

I saw on another thread where Heather recommended previous Lambda literary winner lists as a way to find books, which I hadn't thought of, and I got some great ideas there. But I'd totally like to hear any other recommendations.

--------------------

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's kind of why I like Brown, actually, but how about Jeanette Winterson then?

Or Jane Rule, Sarah Schulman, Paula Martinac or Dorothy Allison?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

I've never heard of Paula Martinac or Sarah Schulman, they looks great, thanks.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

(I read a lot. [Smile] )

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

AB
Activist
Member # 29608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you like graphic novels, check out Alison Bechdel. she has a comic strip called Dykes to Watch Out For and she wrote a graphic novel called Fun Home. Fun Home is mostly about her family, and her father, but she also talks about her lesbianism and coming out to her mom and stuff.

(oh, and i definitely second Annie on my Mind.)

--------------------
"think outside the box, collapse the box, and take a f***ing sharp knife to it."
- banksy

Posts: 58 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

I'm a huge Alison Bechdel fan. I've read the whole DTWOF series more times than I can count. Those characters are so real for me [Smile]

--------------------

eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi bluejumprope [Smile]

This thread is cool for me as I've recently joined a queer feminist book group. (I never knew that such groups existed, but its been awesome so far).

"Stone Butch Blues" by Leslie Feinberg is one I was highly recommended. I also really like "My one night stand with cancer" by Tania Katan. She's a Jewish Dyke who writes about fighting breast ca at age 21 and 31. It's funny and touching.

I'd quite like to read my way through the Stonewall book award winners..might take me awhile though!

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I had some recommendations to offer, sometimes I wonder if I'll ever read another book all the way through and stress about whether my vocabulary is getting smaller. [Frown] I'll try and check out the authors mentioned here.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felixosaurus
Activist
Member # 42678

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felixosaurus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another Vote for Alison Bechdel. Fun Home is amazing.

--------------------
www.criticalmasculinities.com

Posts: 42 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

I recently read a lesbian YA novel I liked a lot: Ash by Malinda Lo. It's a queer retelling of Cinderella.

Also, have you guys read Ariel Schrag? She's written graphic memoirs about being a dyke in high school. When I last read her I found it pretty uncomfortable because the high school experience was so raw, but she's great.

(eryn, that's so cool that you found a queer feminist book group!)

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.