Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Meg Meeker's Misinformation?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Meg Meeker's Misinformation?
Tashi
Activist
Member # 47955

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tashi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mentioned in a post awhile ago that my mother had me read Meg Meeker's book about teens and STIs. Apparently there was a lot of misinformation in this book, and I was hoping that you guys could maybe give me a quick run-down of what was incorrect in that book and why, and the "real" facts.

Thanks.

Posts: 101 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said, I'm not particularly comfortable getting into a big take-down here of social conservatives because in my experience, they often play very dirty, and I've had to deal with some of them making parts of my life highly unpleasant.

But I can give you some things to look at on your own.

One thing you always want to do with books and credibility is look at who the publisher is. Some presses/publishers will ONLY publish things that are of a given political or religious bent, and Regnery is a BIG TIME conservative press: http://www.regnery.com/

You'll not that nearly all the reviews of the book also come from politically/culturally conservative sources, rather than from a mix of perspectives or from some moderate sources. I can't find a single published review on it from anything BUT a religious or culturally conservative source.

Even the subtitle "how sex is killing our kids" is VERY propagandist, and also something that is SUPER iffy coming from a doctor, who should know that sex all by itself rarely kills anyone. HOW people have sex and take care of their sexual health (and don't) is the real issue, and is the more benign, unbiased language and approach a medical professional should be using.

As I recall, there is also a great deal of homophobia in the book.

While these are not professional reviews, you may want to look at the critical reader reviews on Amazon.com, as some of them tackle some of the problems very well: http://www.amazon.com/Epidemic-How-Teen-Killing-Kids/product-reviews/089526143X/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

My caveat up there given, is there a particular part of the book or information you wanted to fact-check?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tashi
Activist
Member # 47955

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tashi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Heather, (sorry for posting in the wrong forum) I'll take a look at the reviews on Amazon, and I don't really have any specific questions about the book currently, but when I go back home for the holidays, I'll probably flip through it and find some of the sections that were wrong sounding to me and post more specific questions.
Posts: 101 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mean to blow you off with some of this, by the way, it's just that I can only take so much crap from folks like this, so I try and limit how open I make myself to it.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tashi
Activist
Member # 47955

It's no problem at all. I understand you have an incredibly hard time facing opposition from the more conservative and close-minded people.
Heather
Member # 3

It's a little more complicated than that.

If and when I have an issue with someone's ideas, I'm not going to go writing books where I talk about their personal lives, call them names or use their words out of context to intentionally manipulate them. As well, the people that read me don't tend to be people who associate themselves with movements which incorporate violence, like there is in the antichoice movement.

And because of what I do for my living, and the way my life tends to be different than most of these folks' lives, I tend to be more vulnerable to some of this than these folks are, as do my projects. So, one chooses one's battles. I also never want to give some of these folks more air time than I have to, because it can lend them a credibility I don't think is warranted.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.