Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » How do you guys feel about modern family?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you guys feel about modern family?
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently, I started watching Modern Family, and I love it (mainly because of Sofia Vergara's character- street smart, funny, loud and still considered very attractive)

However, I do have to wonder if the gay couple they portrait, particularly Cameron, is too stereotypical. I also wonder if maybe too much humor is taken from their sexuality. Granted, just as much humor is taken from the other "typical, white, American" family on the show.

So what do you think? Is modern family opening up the average TV watcher to diversity, or is it stereotyping it?

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonicTwelve
Activist
Member # 34415

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TonicTwelve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do think that they could have made the gay couple less stereotypical, but overall I think that it is opening people up to diversity. I like how it reflects that a white family with a mother, father and 2-3 kids isn't the only valid type of family, because that type of family is the one almost exclusively portrayed on television and film. And it's frequently very funny. I am a little bit hooked [Smile]

--------------------
~~Caitlin

"Oh baby I said,
It's all in our hands,
Got to learn to respect,
What we don't understand,
We are fortunate ones,
Fortunate ones, I swear."

Posts: 61 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AponiKanti
Activist
Member # 48252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AponiKanti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly I think all the family on Modern Family is stereotyped. Nonetheless, I think it's a step in the right direction towards opening the minds of people to diversity and non-traditional families.
Posts: 95 | From: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.