Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Big Love (HBO)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Big Love (HBO)
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have any of you seen the HBO series Big Love? It's a fictional show featuring the trials and tribulations of a modern-day polygamist family in Utah. I've wanted to see it for a long time so I'm so glad that I finally can. However, after finishing the first season, I'm finding the drama and suspense a bit too painful to keep watching! It really deals with SO many issues and raises a lot of interesting questions.

I'd love to hear your opinion of the show if you'd like to share! [Smile]

[ 01-15-2010, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Ecofem ]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forty episodes later and I'll all caught up. I'm back to really enjoying the show and have reflected a lot upon the various themes the show addresses. For all the bad TV out there, I think American television is good at addressing social issues in an informal environment.

One of the big things that stands out is the importance of women being able to work and create an identity outside the home. Of course, it's totally cool for people to choose these identities (like being a mother and/or wife/spouse) but I think the key word is choice. Same for the importance of birth control or being able to choose if and when you want to have children. These things are such the norm in the US these days so it's good to remember how far we've come, even if there's still a lot farther to go. [Smile]

Has any one else seen the show lately?

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robot_on_fire
Activist
Member # 45735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robot_on_fire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i occasionally watch an episode or two here and there.

yes many interesting issues! have not seen it lately but it definitely was always very interesting, in a way polygamy is still a kind of taboo. SO its interesting to see it from a non-jugemental way.

Posts: 92 | From: las vegas | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea! Thanks for posting, robot_on_fire. [Smile] I agree that it's interesting how it approaches from a non-judgemental way and how it shows the different versions of it (Bill and his family versus the Juniper Creek compound), and how you can see how hard it can be to have to keep it secret as well as the huge discrimination from outside.

Sometimes it can be almost too suspenseful (or just complicated) for me but I've really liked where it's gone lately. One theme that explored more is Albie's sexuality: namely, he has a relationship with a man (of course there are other complications there) that is so happy but also heartbreaking.

Trilly
Neophyte
Member # 46900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I have forced myself to watch an episode of Big Love here and there. However, the family dynamic just can't grab my attention. I can't really blame that on poor writing either; this show is very solid and, probably very funny to people who share priorities with the characters.

--------------------
"Every relationship you are ever going to be in will fail until one doesn't!" Dan Savage, Savage Love Podcast

Posts: 9 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.