Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » The Great Sperm Race!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Great Sperm Race!
Bun Bun
Activist
Member # 37353

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bun Bun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's a documentary-type show that tells the story of sperm from ejaculation right up to fertilization! From the channel 4 website:

"Scaled up to human size with the sperm played by real people, The Great Sperm Race tells the story of human conception as it's never been told before using helicopter-mounted cameras, world-renowned scientists, CGI and dramatic reconstruction to illustrate the extraordinary journey of sperm."

I was quite entertained by the entire show (especially the slipknot lookalike leukocytes), and I loved that it was educational. To be fair, there were a couple of times that I found the information to be wrong. For example, they said that precum contained no sperm so it can't get you pregnant. But overall, I thought it was awesome!

If you haven't seen it, I'm sure it'll be on youtube somewhere. Keep in mind though that it is PG-13, so viewer discretion is advised [Smile] If you have seen it, what are your thoughts?

Posts: 206 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gawd, that sounds AWESOME! I am so keeping my eyes peeled for this.

(It also sounds like whoever thought of this must have seen a certain Woody Allen film in their formative years. However, that just had people-as-sperm; this clearly takes that to a whole new level!)

Just FYI, we *can* say with total accuracy that pre-ejaculate, itself, does not contain sperm, the same way that we can say, for instance, that a stream is unpolluted even though it may become polluted once it passes through a polluted area. Pre-ejaculate doesn't contain sperm, but it can pick up sperm left in the urethra if they're there on the way out. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilstrawberry
Activist
Member # 39129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilstrawberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just about to post about this! I found it online and watched it with boyfriend, a good time was had by all. It was informative as well as quite entertaining. I particularly enjoyed the epic music accompanying ejaculation.

If anyone wants to watch it, it's available for viewing in 10 min. segments here: http://www.ovguide.com/tv/the_great_sperm_race.htm

[ 10-05-2010, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: evilstrawberry ]

Posts: 117 | From: U.S. | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
selina
Activist
Member # 33376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for selina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just had to watch this for the reproduction topic in class (like we don't know about it already) and i cracked up several times watching the sperm people act like ninjas to get to the egg. i was being a bit immature about the way they filmed it to be honest but i wasn't terribly receptive to learning about something i'd known about since i was 11
Posts: 94 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.