Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » The Secret Life of the American Teenager

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Secret Life of the American Teenager
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else watch this show on ABC ?

It's become one of my favorite show right now.

The Secret life of the american teenager is a teen drama that explores teen pregnancy and focuses on the effects that unexpected pregnancy can have on a teen's life, including among other things the relationship with her parents. We get to see the main character going through the difficult decisions of whether or not to have the baby and whether or not to keep it or give it for adoption. It depicts how much the responsabilities and decisions that comes with a pregnancy can be, especially for a teenager.

The show also deal with a lot of other subjects such as sex, dating relationships, casual relationships and relationships with parents.

If you do happen to watch that show, what are your thoughts on it ?

Do you think that show is being very realistic ?

I'd just like to hear your opinions about it.

[ 01-25-2009, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I do watch the show. Personally, though, I think there is some really awful acting; however, over all, it has a good point. At times I find that it's not very realistic- ex: the dad tries to live in the garage, tom invites the prostitute to the house, ben offers to marry amy after finding out she's pregnant, ben's family having money coming out the rear, etc. I think it's good for SOME teens to see, though, because it gives them a sense of what life could be like. At the same time though, the parts that are unrealistic can make it seem better, and worst, than it really is.

--------------------
Young and Dumb.
"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go." - Keith Urban

Posts: 243 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StrangePudding
Activist
Member # 40765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StrangePudding     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do enjoy watching this show, but I agree that the acting can be pretty atrocious at times (the only actor I like on the show is whoever plays Adrienne - I believe she's actually a person sometimes!) and so can the writing. Overall, I think I mostly watch it for the entertainment value, not because I think it's realistic. In fact, sometimes I get pretty annoyed about some things - like the fact that no one has done anything about Ricky coercing Amy in to sex - essentially raping her. I guess that's kind of realistic, but they seem to portray Amy's parents (or mother, at least) as people she can trust and who love and support her, yet they allow their daughter's rapist to be around and don't try to press charges or anything.

I also think that Ben and Amy's relationship is pretty ridiculous. I understand that things move fast when you're that young (they still move fast when you're years older!) but I don't really see any reasoning for them being 'in love.' They don't seem to have much in common. I also get that Ben is a 'nice guy' and all that, but essentially acting as the baby's surrogate father is seriously pushing it. Although it looks like this week and next week's episode might be putting things a little more in perspective for him.

So yeah, it's entertaining. And the stuff about Amy trying not to have to tell her parents about the baby I TOTALLY get. But the way it portrays relationships is seriously weird to me.

Posts: 222 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hippolyta
Neophyte
Member # 42110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hippolyta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a few episodes and think the show is the worst representation of teenage life I have ever seen on television. The girls wear tons of flashy makeup, hairdos and clothes- including high-heels. I don't know what life is like for the rest of american teenagers, but I'm 16 and have been going to school in a very ritzy area and no girls even look or dress like that. In fact you wouldn't even know the richest girls if you saw them because they usually just wear sweat pants and maybe an Ed Hardy t-shirt and carry around a juicy couture giant bag as the only distunguishable sign of wealth.

Another ridiculous part is how slutty Grace and Adrian are, especially when they're practically dueling for the privilege to have sex with Ricky. Either I was completely out of the in high school or I'm right that even the real-life slutty girls are drastically different from these primped characters

Posts: 16 | From: Florida | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joaniehippopotamus_theninth
Neophyte
Member # 42398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joaniehippopotamus_theninth         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so glad that you started a thread on this topic, cool87! I haven't seen any of the new episodes, I've only seen episodes from the first season which I think was last summer, at least in the states, I don't know if it debuted at a different date in Canada. I have really ambivalent feelings about it.

On the one hand I find it to be pretty bad from a show quality standpoint-the writing, the acting, probably the directing; and yet I was pretty addicted to it throughout the first season and really wanted to watch it.

Then as to how it presents the various issues it's really mixed. There were some things I thought it did really well and some things that I thought it totally was just completely messed up. I really liked the asian girl and how she was so knowledgeable about sex and various sexual issues and how she was really comfortable with her sexuality and was totally comfortable with masturbating and letting her boyfriend and, if I remember correctly, other friends and students know that she masturbated. And I like how she was really assertive with her friend/boyfriend about what she wanted and what her limits were sexually. And I thought it was cool that when they had sex for the first time neither of them really enjoyed it. It was such a refreshingly realistic portrayal of first time sex as opposed to a lot of other teen shows where everyone has a great time their first time and everyone automatically and intuitively knows how to be great in bed.

I really hated how so many of the girls desperately wanted to have sex with Ricky, even though he's not really a good person, even Amy's friends wanted to at least fool around with him or make-out or something even though they knew what happened and how it doesn't sound like Amy and Ricky's encounter was really consensual.

Ok, there's more but this post is already way to long. One day I hope to learn how to be concise [Smile]

Posts: 10 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.