Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » The Period: The End of Menstruation?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Period: The End of Menstruation?
dirtyMohair
Neophyte
Member # 32008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dirtyMohair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone seen or heard of the movie?
Posts: 37 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Koi
Activist
Member # 39785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Koi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you who haven't, here's a quick summary I found at Withoutabox:

quote:
As millions of women and girls take shots and pills to stop their periods, the meaning of menstruation changes. For many women, menstrual suppression is an option which frees them from monthly flow, giving them more control and freedom in their lives. Period: The End of Menstruation? interrogates the cultural and medical side effects of suppression before 'the curse' disappears. Period introduces physicians and health practitioners around the country who fall on both sides of the menstrual suppression debate: from those who maintain that technology should make menstruation virtually obsolete to those who see menstruation as defining the essence of being female. We also hear of the experiences of everyday Americans. People from diverse ethnic communities, of varying sexual orientations and varying ages share intimate details of their experiences. We meet an African American woman so troubled by her period that she chose to have a hysterectomy at age 33. We see a white urban professional in her late 20’s take a shot of Depo Provera. She has not menstruated in three years. Yet, a transman living in New York City chooses to keep his period and claims it as part of his masculinity. Period: The End of Menstruation? calls for more research around menstrual suppressants, and asks women to carefully consider what it means to bleed. The film serves as a beginning to much needed public conversation and brings attention to a pressing women’s health issue that affects millions of women on a national and global scale.
Seems like a real connection to I, Being Born Woman and Suppressed!

--------------------
"Love is the answer, but while you are waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions."

Posts: 171 | From: USA/CHINA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladylady
Neophyte
Member # 40138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladylady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering about this:

quote:
Period introduces physicians and health practitioners around the country who fall on both sides of the menstrual suppression debate: from those who maintain that technology should make menstruation virtually obsolete to those who see menstruation as defining the essence of being female.
It makes it seem like there's nothing in between. You either think periods are silly and useless or they define you as a woman. Personally, I have my period just out of habit. It's mildly irritating, but I don't hate it, nor do I see it as what makes me female. There's more to me than the blood that comes out of me once a month.
Posts: 32 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, that blurb -- which may or may not be reflective of the film -- makes something polarizing which isn't. There's a whole range of opinions and experiences, and they don't all fall into easy "sides."

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.