Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » CNN Untold Stories: Curing Homosexuality

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CNN Untold Stories: Curing Homosexuality
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
World's Untold Stories is a CNN Series that shows half-hour documentaries made by Broadcasters from around the world on topics that are usually not featured in regular newsreporting.

This week's episode, produced by Australian ABC (a public broadcaster), tackled therapies and programs intended to 'cure' homosexuality.

I'd recently read an excellent article on a 'gay conversion camp' run by one of the groups mentioned in the documentary and hence wasn't totally surprised by the stupidity of the suggested remedies to gayness which included: No listening to Classical Music! No facial hair for blokes! Women must shave at least twice weekly! No Abercrombie & Fitch! Call your blokepals 'Dude'! Drink beer!

I wish I could have laughed about this, but I just couldn't, seeing people in that show who actually believe that a) being gay needs to be cured, b) subjecting people to this kind of therapy was a good idea and c) were making money of it.

I felt extremely sorry for the men on the show who claimed they were 'ex-gay' and now 'successfully straight'.

You can watch the entire programm at CNN.com:Worlds Untold Stoied.

I thought it was a decent program, which unfortunately, due to the 30-minute-format, stayed rather superficial though. I would have liked more in-depth info on both the camps and the organisations behind these programs and more thorough interviews and even more direct critique of conversion therapy from reputable sources (like the American Psychological Associaton, which condemns conversion therapy).

What do you think? Good programme? Good topic? Or is this an issue that's so outrageously stupid that it shouldn't even be given any additional audience by being reported on?

[ 04-06-2007, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: alaska ]

--------------------
caro

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Queer Power
Activist
Member # 22292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Queer Power     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone ever gone undercover to one of these camps to 'expose' it and maybe find a lover (hehe)...?
Posts: 52 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a good question; I'll actually be doing some more reading on this, so if I come across anything, I'll give a shout.

Thing is: There were plenty of chaps in the show and in the article I'd read before, who'd been (sent) to those camps and who later realised that they could not be turned around. And their stories were extremely maddening and saddening. Probably more than the same by someone who'd gone into one of these camps 'undercover'.

Now as to the finding lovers thing... well, tons of quite likely previously isolated queer teens in one place....I can totally see how things might not work out as the organisers intend them too. [Big Grin]

[ 04-06-2007, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: alaska ]

--------------------
caro

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alaska:
Now as to the finding lovers thing... well, tons of quite likely previously isolated queer teens in one place....I can totally see how things might not work out as the organisers intend them too. [Big Grin]

*cough*ButI'mACheerleader*cough*

Ages ago, a friend linked me to the nice (if seriously deluded) folks at NARTH.com, and we got a good laugh out of their articles on SSAD (same sex attraction disorder). Maybe that's a good place to for you to start your research, alaska.

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 8995 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

yeah, thise NARTH folks were in the programm, too and i read some of their adorable tests last night. good grace. seriously deluded is putting it nicely.

--------------------
caro

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.