Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Sex Ed.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sex Ed.
babybear
Activist
Member # 30364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babybear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am currently in 11th grade. When I was in 7th, my middle school had a whole day dedicated to sexual education. I don't remember a thing about it. Probally because we were 12 years old and "grossed out" by the word "vagina".

Now, in highschool, all we have is abstinence assemblies. Assemblies telling us how sex is "BAD BEFORE MARRIAGE" and essentially, we're going to get pregnant and wind up with HIV. We were told that condoms hardly provide ANY protection. The guy actually held up the condom, told us they were worthless, and tossed it on stage.

This makes me so incredibly angry! The truth of the matter is - most teens ARE having intercourse or have at least engaged in other sexual activites. We are NOT recieving any information on how to have safe sex - how to protect ourselves against unwanted pregnancies and STI's, or the value of getting tested. We were just asked to stop if were doing it, and not to start if we weren't. The birth control pill was knocked, saying we as teens aren't really responsible enough to take the pill. Well, guess what? I'm a 16 year old sexually active female, and I've never missed a pill a day in my life [not to mention I also use condoms]. I'm not pregnant.

The reason this abstinence crap upsets me so much is because I was tested for STI's, but still have not recieved my results. I'm SCARED. I had no idea I could get gonnorhea from oral sex. NO IDEA. No one ever told me. No one ever informed me about the importance of getting someone tested. Yeah, sure, you could say it was my resposibility to look all of this info up on my own. But for some reason, I can't get the idea out of my head that we are forced to sit through preaching rather then recieving REAL information that we need.

And they talk about waiting until marriage. I'm sure there is a silm chance you will find a 25 year-old virgin out there, but if you do, wonderful. The speakers NEVER talk about getting tested. They make it like "well, if you're married, STI risks magically disappear". Yeah. Right.

And this whole waiting until 30 to engage in any sexual activites? Just shoot my head off. Really, do it. That is the most ridiculous and flat out STUPID idea.

Just teach us how to be SAFE and SMART about sex. There are always going to be those who just don't play it safe. Oh well, not my problem. I do play it safe, I want to play it safe, and I just want the information on how to do so.

I guess I'm going to hell.

Posts: 250 | From: somewhere | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you yet gotten proactive and written a formal letter to your school adninistration and school board? Maybe started a petition amongst students?

Mind, federal funding for schools is STILL limited to abstinence-based sex ed, but schools do have the power to seek alternate funding to give comprehensive sex ed, so y'all aren't helpless here. You do have the possibility of influencing your school in this manner.

I do NOT think it's your responsibility to have to seek out this information on your own, personally. Sex education is, IMO, part of education, all the more so when they say they provide it and are not.

So, rather than going to hell, why not get proactive? Sounds like your voice could be pretty powerful in this regard if you used it wisely.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68211 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Menthol
Activist
Member # 30995

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Menthol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh, the sex education in school is totally worthless. And the talk from my parents was worthless, too. We did the whole abstinence pledge thing in middle school... we were, like, 12. I didn't participate. I don't remember precisely why i didn't.

Somewhat off topic. Up until i was about that time... i didn't know humans, you know, typically had sex face to face. I thought that people did it like dogs did it. I mean, yeah, we CAN do it that way... meh. You know what i mean.

--------------------
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction."
~Ayn Rand

Posts: 85 | From: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dannie
Activist
Member # 30060

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dannie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over all i agree that most schools sex ed programs are useless, but where i am there is an optional childcare and parenting class ( that i'm taking because we run a daycare three days a week and i love kids) and before we opened the center our teacher had a special speaker come in from planned parenthood and talk to use about everything, we accually had two dats devoted to three women who told us about stds and pregnacy risks and prevention. The speaker was there for seven of our nine periods and talked to a different class each period, but that only covers like...maybe a third of our high school, and three of those classes where upper classmen only. I think i'd be great to offer the speaker to the whole school, to have every planned parenthood in ever state send out some one to every school in the area and talk, just take a day and tell the kids what they need to hear...
Posts: 47 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beach Girl
Neophyte
Member # 32103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beach Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe abstinence-only sex ed exists. I had sex ed a few times in elementary school and high school and they taught us about STI's and pregnancy as well as being emotionally ready for sex and thinking critically about the images of sex we see in the media. I feel it could have been better, but it helped a lot. Unfortunately many young people are aware yet still ignore safer sex practices.

I don't remember abstinence really being discussed as a concept in that way... they cautioned us against having sex because of peer pressure and told us that even though it seems like "everyone" is "doing it," they actually aren't. The idea that marriage is a magical moment when sex becomes more acceptable was never touched on. For obvious reasons, I think the way I was taught sex ed is superior to abstinence-only. Are there any statistics to prove this?

Posts: 10 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
listlesslise
Activist
Member # 31974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for listlesslise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay for the candadian sex ed program, hey beach girl [Smile] We had amazing sex education starting in grade 4 and going all the way to highschool, and really, they never ever *ever* pushed abstinence on us, they only stated that "it is the most effective form of birth control because it's preventing the issue entirely." also, we were told not just about intercourse, but about oral and manual sex also, and give packets and packets of free condoms (not in grade 4, obviously, but still). we also had plenty of Planned Parenthood (or something similar, anyways) reps come and talk to use abouit thayt whole emotional side of things, as well as abuse, legal issues and where we could go to get BC/EC/abortion/pregancies support. It was also miraculously *not* homophobic in anyway, and if I remeber corectly, we covered sexual identity as early as grade 5, I think. Really, americans teens should just cross the border for a few weeks to get some good sex ed, and then go back to the US to spread their knowledge [Smile] .

--------------------
*~*Sorry for the inconvenience*~*

Posts: 59 | From: not in Regina, Sass-cat-chew-ahn | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James the Dark
Activist
Member # 32379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James the Dark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear the sung praises of the Canadian S.Ed. program. While I don't remember many of the details myself, I know that it was far from "Don't do it until you're married, end of story". There was talk of condoms, STIs and the detection thereof, even a brief bit of anatomy.

This is one of the many reasons I'm glad I was born and raised a Canadian. That, and the healthcare thing. :-D

--------------------
"And you're really asking me if I prefer injury to embarrassment? That's not even a choice. I don't know anybody who's literally died of embarrassment."

People are annoying sometimes.

Posts: 78 | From: Summerside, PEI, Canada | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm hardly one to defend the States (and don't get used to it, it's a rarity for me), but do bear in mind that this isn't about the States as a nation: ab-only sex ed is really quite recent (it's barely 10 years old at this point): sex ed during my coming of age, for instance, in many areas, was incredibly progressive, and as I understand the history of comprehensive sex ed, we had it here before it spread out elsewhere. As well, the majority of cutting edge sex researchers, educators and sexologists over the last 100 years have been based in the states.

I try not to get too optimistic about U.S. politics, but I am inclined to think the current state of sex ed is temporary: there are plenty of sound reasons to feel pretty confident that this is a trend which is going to be on the outs in time, probably within just a few years.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68211 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NervousFreak
Neophyte
Member # 32524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NervousFreak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if this is characteristic of Catholic schools, I only went to one, and I haven't asked around, so I have no idea, but I know that at the school where I went to elementary, junior high, and high school, the sex ed wasn't so much abstinence based as it was, "this is the anatomy, this is how it works, and now we're gonna stop talking about it"

almost everything I know about sex I learned in Bio 30 (grade 12 biology i don't know what it's called everywhere else)- and by then I was already having sex - and from my boyfriend who went to the public school.

When the condom broke and I didn't want to rely completely on my pills, he told me about EC and took me to get it, I would've spent weeks stressing about it until my period otherwise,

Also, in my high school, where my mom still works, she told me the recently that there are 8 or 9 girls pregnant, out of about 75. Obviously, this system isn't working.

I have no idea what exactly is being taught with the abstinence program in the states, so I can't comment on in but I can say that I was not satisfied at all with what I had for sex ed.

--------------------
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

Posts: 14 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn sight more than what Catholic schools get in England. Religious Studies handle all sex ed, and the teacher is forbidden from recommending contraception other than abstinence or counting your cycle. In addition, masturbation is condemned (to the point that IVF is sinful because the man has to masturbate to produce sperm). And they have to tell us that pro-choice (which we are told means pro-abortion) is wrong. That doctors and nurses working at abortion clinics are trained to lie. We are shown ultrasound videos of abortions taking place to try to brainwash us into being pro-life.
And if the teacher won't do these things? The Diocese can sack them.

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Light
Activist
Member # 32327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Light     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At my magnet high school in the US, we learned the extreamly intricate details in bio, and some stuff about std's in health as freshman. In sophmore year we learned more about STD's and many different methods of birth control, including foam, spounges, IUD's and many more, and the relative success rates. The teachers mentioned abstinance in passing, sort of like "And of course, at the top of the chart is abstinance, class dismissed" They mentioned it, but not like they actually considered it as something we would do.They also passed around anonomous questions note cards at the end of each class and the next class would answer all the questions in great detail. They never gave out condom's or showed us how they worked, but that was pretty much the only failing. A pretty comprehensive program, I would say. Ironicly, that high school probally has the greatest number if kids abstaining, but that was because it was a magnet school, and kids lived really far away from each other, were swamped with work, and were studying in middle school while other kids were developing social skills.
Posts: 70 | From: Nova | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bit off-topic here, but what's a magnet school?

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Light
Activist
Member # 32327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Light     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a school that requires a test to get into, and offers higher level courses (esp in math, etc), a more rigorous course load, and all the courses are generally more challenging, with an emphasis on a specific subject, in this case Math, Science, and Technology. It draws students from over several counrys.
Posts: 70 | From: Nova | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.