Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » You've Got Mail!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: You've Got Mail!
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and HIV.

Yahoo! presents the Reuters article

I gotta luv working for the health department. We've just launched InSpotLA, a website that lets users email notify their sexual partners that they have been exposed to STDs.

It's ripe for abuse, so critics say. Please don't prove them right by prank-mailing folks. So far the people who run the original In Spot site in San Francisco say that abuse has been minimal. let's keep it that way.

Anyway, your thoughts on notifying partners via email? How would you feel about getting an email like that? How about sending one to a partner you may have infected?

I think i'd probably get pretty pissed off that he idn't tell me in person. But it sure beats finding out by having a public health investigator come knocking at your door.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Windowshopper
Neophyte
Member # 26923

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Windowshopper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think email is a good way.
I mean STI's are a serious issue it's like telling someone you are pregnant or have cancer over an email, i would want tobe told face to face.

Also as you said it's bound to get abuse and also, i mean it could be sent to your boyfriend/girlfriend (not sure if it is for both) as a joke on April fools or something.

But if people feel comfortable doing it, i suppose it has it's good points, however not for me.

Sadie

------------------
XX B13 4 LYF XX

Posts: 11 | From: Birmingham, England | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blue eyed girl
Neophyte
Member # 26449

Icon 10 posted      Profile for blue eyed girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well i suppose the abuse aspect of it is bad, plus the fact that if you received one you might not take it seriously.

but think of how many people may not reveal their stds to their former partners because of embarrasment or fear that they'd be angry with them. the obvious choice to to put aside those feelings and do it for the other persons sake, but i have heard of cases when an infected person didnt tell their old mates. they made some excuse to themselves like "well we were wearing protection most of the time" or "if its an std theyll probably notice, why should i tell them".

maybe some precautions could be sent in order? such as maybe only testing centers having access to it and someone could send the emails from there? i dunno. the system will be abused but there are some advantages

------------------
"We should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh."

Posts: 6 | From: nj | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 10 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see this as a good thing in general. Especially for people who had brief sexual encounters and may/may not ever see that person again, it's a step in the right direction of getting tested regularly and all that jazz.

For people who can't see that partner at the time it would also be perfect--although that partner might be very angry for being exposed and then being notified in such an impersonal manner, at least they're being notified somehow.

However, as others said, it does have "abuse me!" written all over it. Maybe if it was restricted somehow so that they'd know the emails were legit, then it would be a better tool.

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.