Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » media pressure

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: media pressure
Nicky NK
Neophyte
Member # 23645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicky NK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i was reading a magazine the other day, "17" or something like that, and noticed that all the girls in it were fit and had large breasts and shapely bodies, and i got to thinking. the media gives waaay too much attention to how girls look. one magazine's message may say, "stay fit, eat right, don't have sex till after marriage," while another may say "parents stink, do what ya wanna do, make love, blah, blah, blah!" but i've noticed one consistency with all this, and that is that girls should all look like mag models. which is not going to happen any time soon.

another myth is that girls are all slutty and ready to throw down any time a guy wants to. this is media pressed by movies like "American Pie" or any other movie, tho mostly comedies, that involve teen girls or women. this is sick. i know, when my boyfriend and i have sex, we talk about it, and then use all the neccessary precautions (condoms, emergency contreception, etc.) and *don't* just honk each other any time we want to.

any comments, good or bad, would be welcome.

nicky

Posts: 28 | From: Boise, ID, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, what you're noticing isn't specific to teen women: it's how all women are generally presented by the mainstream media. And really, the mainstream media is a superficial place for everyone: while the approaches are different, in general, men and women alike as presented very two-dimensionally, especially when it comes to sex.

That perhaps sounds glib, but I don't intend it to be. Ultilmately, I simply don;t expect much from mainstream media at this point personally. Sure, I write articles and letters to offer counterpoint, but when it comes to my life, I choose to just opt out of the whole works, choosing instead to puruse and support independent media instead.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor & Founder
ST homepage • ST blog • about Heather & Scarleteen

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.