Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Favorite Sexuality Books

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Favorite Sexuality Books
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are some of your favorite books on sexuality and relationships?

I'm working on setting up a bookstore, condom shop and the whole nine yeards, but while I know the books I like that I think you will, I'd hate to miss out on what *you* like.

Any takers?

Posts: 68053 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshleyInABottle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miz S.
I have this book by the people from gURL.com called "Deal With It" and it's an EXCELLENT book about that kind of stuff..I turn to it alot when i have questions.

Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my list. I like that book too, and I'm glad you do!

(And I'm glad you're cheerier than yesterday!)

Posts: 68053 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
um. I could just go through my list I posted a million years back, but instead I'll mention a few absolute favs...

the new our bodies, ourselves
promiscuities by naomi wolf
reviving ophelia
ophelia speaks

I'm sure there's more...

~lem

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camryn
Activist
Member # 1242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for camryn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For Yourself : The Fulfillment of Female Sexuality by Lonnie Barbach is a great book for women who want to learn how to give themselves orgasm.
Posts: 42 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my son was an infant (20 years ago) there was an excellent photo book called "Show Me" translated from German. It's still in our storeroom somewhere. It might be too graphic for the United States. It was controversial in Canada.

Another is "What's Happening to Me?" which is a good introduction to the changes of puberty.

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
i am a cat
Neophyte
Member # 13784

Icon 1 posted      Profile for i am a cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not finished reading it yet, but so far I've enjoyed Woman: An Intimate Geography by Natalie Angier. It's both informative and beautifully written.

------------------
"Why should I have to be a skinny pencil?
I'd rather be a happy magic marker."

- Natalie on "Facts of Life"

[This message has been edited by i am a cat (edited 07-03-2003).]

Posts: 38 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay for "Woman: A Intimate Geography"! Isn't it great?

I'd also recommend:

"The Good Vibrations Guide to Sex", 3rd edition by Cathy Winks and Anne Semans
"The Clitoral Truth" by Rebecca Chalker
"The Technology of Orgasm" by Rachel Maines
"Femalia" by Joani Blank
"Talk Dirty To Me: An Intimate Philosophy of Sex" by Sallie Tisdale

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey fantastic on the shop! Are you planning to include erotic fiction? I don't mean Harlequin romance novels, but things that are more serious? I'm thinking Anais Nin, Pauline Reage, Anne Rice type novels, some of which may be too... hardcore to appeal to all types. But I for one think they're a wonderful romp. That's my two cents.
Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

FYI, as you'll note by the date, this post is three years old. Scarleteen has since had a shop for some years now, accessible via the front page.

And no, we don't include adult erotic fiction because the site is geared to minors.

Jockette
Neophyte
Member # 14221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jockette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Favorite books are:

Family Outing
Am I Blue?
Love, Ellen

Posts: 4 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 10 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoops. Sorry there. I misunderstood the original post (thought physical shop/storefront), and never even looked at the date. I hope it wasn't a problem.
Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sublime_15
Activist
Member # 12538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sublime_15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The book I'm reading now is "Three essays on the Theory of Sexuality" by Sigmund Freud. I just got done reading his "The interpretation of dreams." Its really a good read.
Posts: 280 | From: nowhere | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
englishstrawberry
Neophyte
Member # 19847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for englishstrawberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
englishstrawberry
Neophyte
Member # 19847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for englishstrawberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a look at 'The Sex Book' by Jane Pavell (I hope thats her name).
It's a no-nonsense guide for teens everywhere. I love it, it is basically my bible!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spinnersis
Neophyte
Member # 18568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spinnersis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Vagina Monologues by Eve Ensler! It's about the different issues women have with their bodies. Parts of it are moving, funny, informative and empowering. It's actually a play, but I've got the book too. Performances of it are usually held in February, and proceeds go to women's charities. Absolutely everyone, male or female (but especially female) should go see it if they possibly can. If you can't make a performnce (or there isn't one near by), the book is good too, although a few of the monologues really need to be performed rather than read. I've just been thinking about this because they're starting to organize things for this year's performance on campus.
Posts: 31 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.