Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » recs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: recs
karasumouri
Neophyte
Member # 18256

Icon 6 posted      Profile for karasumouri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a slash fandom girl (slash, fyi, regards male/male relationships... femslash is f/f). *waves* And I love being in the slash fandoms. I'm not obsessed, per se, but I've hung around slash realms for a while and have picked up some recs over the years =)

Bookwise:
Gaywyk by Vincent Virga (okay, romance-novelish but great suspense, mystery, and wonderfully written--non-explicit sex and implication are the onl warnigns I can think of)

Vadriel Vail by Vincent Virga (*shrugs* Actually, I didn't really like it... but someone else might.)

The Vintner's Luck by Elizabeth Knox (I really like this story that spans decades--each chapter is a year. It begins by the meeting between an angel, Xas, and a young man in a vineyard in France. An incredible story. My friend didn't like it, but I did. ^_^)

The Kid by Dan Savage (a non-fiction account about he and his partner going through the open adoption process. Absolutely delightful. First person POV, "brutally" honest, humorous, touching... I don't think I've ever read anything like it.)

Empress of the World by Sarah... (sorry about no last name. This is a really awesome story told first person from a high-school age girl going to a "gifted" summer program. During her stay, she begins to figure out her sexuality and honestly, relationships as a whole. I could really relate to this, which was why I liked it so much.)

Let's see.... movies:

Priscilla Queen of the Desert (ah I love this movie. Austrailian. Hugo Weaving in a dress, that's my favorite way to explain it. =) I love the characters--about two drag queens and a transvestite crossing the Austrailian desert to perform a show. Very good plot, wonderful music, both touching and humorous, and also some serious stuff. Warnings for lots of cursing and horrendous outfits *L*)

Bedrooms and Hallways (overall this movie... bugs me. But some of the lines are great. It's just a really weird scramble of gay, straight, and bi friends changing sexualities at odd times... Um. Watch it for Hugo Weaving! *beams* ^_^ His character cracks me up)

Let's see, for anime and manga fanatics, I recommend the following (m for manga only):

ZetsuAi 1989 & its continuation Bronze
Please Save My Earth (limited m/m)
Sorcerer Hunters (m -- the anime is crap)
Demon Diary (m)
Eerie Queerie (m)
FAKE

Anyway, that's all for now. *yawns* speaking of the slash fandom... I'm off to fill my daily dose of slash fanfiction with my latest Man from UNCLE aqquisition. *g*

Posts: 3 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bubblex
Activist
Member # 17452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bubblex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a strange obsession with harry potter slash fan fiction mmmmmmmm draco and harry!! last summer it kept me up all night until about 8 in the morning when I would crash and sleep all day... sigh I miss my fan fics
Posts: 70 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.