Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Britney Spears talks masturbation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Britney Spears talks masturbation
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_838119.html

quote:
The singer, who has just released a song titled Touch of My Hand, has told the US magazine People that women should "make themselves happy" and then let their partners "kind of follow up."

She said: "It's a positive thing to indulge in yourself in a sexual way sometimes. It's life. Guys can talk about it. Why can't girls? It's a positive thing. I think if you say you don't do it, you're lying."

She said Touch of My Hand is an ode to masturbation. The song is featured on her new album In the Zone.

The New York Daily News says Spears also tells the magazine it's a positive thing for girls not to depend on guys.

She's quoted as saying: "Being alone you really start to figure out what makes you happy. And then you're able to give more to other people."

[This message has been edited by logic_grrl (edited 11-17-2003).]

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
personally, i'd take anything that child says with a big grain of salt. she's pretty much fed her lines by her handlers and her image is crafted by marketing svengalis.

nonetheless, it seems to me that once people admit that they're sexually active, they tend to be a lot more candid about the associated topics.

------------------
You can either be part of the problem or part of the solution, but in the end, being part of the problem is much more fun.
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
she's pretty much fed her lines by her handlers and her image is crafted by marketing svengalis.

Oh, I totally agree. But even so, it's good to see any popular female figure talking about masturbation and about single-hood as positive - it's a message people need to hear, no matter where it comes from.

And it certainly seems healthier than exploiting one's alleged "virginity" for titillation value ...

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel really embarrased by this, but I watched her VH1 behind the music thing the other day(I was very bored). Anyways, it was basically shameless advertisment for this album.

And apparently she is co written a majority of the songs on this album. Go figure. Its a first for her (she did co write 3 on the third). Its still not writing your own music, but its a step in that direction.

I think this song is a good thing. It might make some of her fans realize that masturbation isnt "icky" even for girls. And its promoting the idea that sexual gratification doesnt require another person, which is also positive for her fans.

Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I somehow acquired the song and listened to it, and she's no Christina Amphlett. There are a ton of songs about sex and whackin'off (we actually had a whole thread devoted to this), but simply because a song's about something controversial doesn't make it a good song, especially when it still reinforces negative attitudes (that masturbation is only a substitute for partnered sex, in this case, rather than a sex act in its own right). Otherwise people would still know who Vanity 6 was, right?

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

The Earth says Hel-lo!

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.lyricsdomain.com/2/britney_spears/touch_of_my_hand.html

I just did a search and found the lyrics for anyone interested.

Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.