Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Harmfull to children?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Harmfull to children?
foxfire
Activist
Member # 8676

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other night I was up late and was watching an aptly named show, "Sextv". Now I was barely paying attention, just trying to pass the time when a women came on talking about her new book, "Harmfull to children". The book apparently is about how children and teenagers need sex education and how we are naturally sexual beings and so on. They had another person on too at the same time opposing her book. A man who call this book "evil" and a danger to society claiming sex education and books like this were poisoning the innocent minds and I swear he said it, luring them to experiment with their bodies. I was wondering if anyone here saw this program Saturday night, or if anyone had read that book. Thanks!

------------------
"Only the foolish would fear Foxfire."
Kolbrun; Juniper order

Posts: 117 | From: Washington | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The book's called "Harmful to Minors" by Judith Levine.

I've read it, and think it's very important and thought-provoking (although I think she may skate over some issues too lightly - but I tend to pick at everything I read ).

Appallingly, some fundamentalists and right-wingers tried to start a campaign against the publishers by claiming falsely that the book approved of child sexual abuse (which it absolutely does not). Levine said:

quote:
"In my book, I deplore any kind of non-consensual sex between persons of any age. But teens deserve respect for their decisions, and they need from us the emotional and practical tools to make good decisions."

If you're interested in finding out more, the publishers, University of Minnesota Press, have a page about the book with links to reviews and articles about it at:

http://www.upress.umn.edu/Books/L/levine_harmful.html

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And you can read Miz S's take on the book at http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum20/HTML/000072.html .
Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.