Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Breakthrough Discovery in the Female Body: Menstrual Cycles a Lie?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Breakthrough Discovery in the Female Body: Menstrual Cycles a Lie?
herecomestheson
Activist
Member # 8200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for herecomestheson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I MADE AND ERROR. SEE BELOW!

[This message has been edited by herecomestheson (edited 07-09-2003).]

Posts: 72 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
herecomestheson
Activist
Member # 8200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for herecomestheson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by herecomestheson:
Of course, this discovery is still in its infancy, but this probably changes many things for the female population of the world. I just think this is fascinating and am further convinced that many accepted truths aren't always correct. I don't know if this is for certain yet - perhaps the following month will tell.

http://www.canada.com/victoria/timescolonist/story.asp?id=1B937892-554D-4410-B97 9-76EDCA93CDF4

http://www2.ccnmatthews.com/scripts/ccn-release.pl?/2003/07/07/0707101n.html

Posts: 72 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how this makes menstrual cycles " a lie".

As far as I know, it's been known for years and years that it's occasionally possible to have more than one ovulation in a cycle (at least, I read that in a book which is a fair few years old).

Nor does it make using something like the fertility awareness method impossible, since that relies on observing the change in basal body temperature and cervical mucus around the time of ovulation (no matter when or how often ovulation occurs).

It is further proof that you can't use the "rhythm method" or any other variation of trying to find a "safe time" by counting days, but then more proof of that was hardly needed ....

So it's an interesting piece of research, but I think the article rather overstates how revolutionary it actually is.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
herecomestheson
Activist
Member # 8200

I didn't state that menstrual cycles were a lie; I was questioning whether or not the reasearch was stating that they were (thus the "?" in my subject heading!). If anything it only affirms, through actual evidence, suspicions that have probably been around for quite some time.

herecomestheson
Activist
Member # 8200

...and by "actual evidence" I mean through this specific biological examination. I am not discrediting the countless pregnancies that have ocurred in sexual activities centered around the "mechanical nature" of a woman's menstrual cycle (which is not a good thing to do obviously if one is trying not to get pregnant). Perhaps this "breakthrough" will allow the irregularities of menstrual cycles to come to a more national attention and be treated as a fact as opposed to the misconception of stagnant "one-time" ovulations. I just thought it was interesting.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.