Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Tipping the Velvet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tipping the Velvet
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 14 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering if anyone watched the BBC miniseries "Tipping the Velvet". It's based on a novel by Sarah Waters and it's about two lesbians living in Victorian England. I really enjoyed it, but all the opinions I seem to get seem to be extremes: "I loved it" or "I hated it". I'm guessing some people see it as contraversial if the responses are that passionate, but I want to know what everyone else thinks. Is it possible to be mediochre about Tipping the Velvet?

Winnie :0)

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omg, I literally just finished watching this five minutes ago-- a friend had taped it off of BBC America for me. I really liked it-- I wouldn't consider it my favorite movie necessarily, but I liked how it dealt with some really serious, sad issues yet had a happy ending that kept me on the edge of my seat (I'll admit I generally am a big fan of happy endings, no matter how trite!) I really wanted to see how Nan's family was going to react when she brought her final partner/girlfriend/wife? home.

Anyhow, Tipping the Velvet was a refreshing alternative to so much on TV these days! It reminded me a lot of a fav movie, Velvet Goldmine, both for the drama and nods towards Victorian theater-themes (and different interpretations of gender and sexual orientation.) Of course, since we're on the topic, you gotta love But I'm a Cheerleader!

This may just be me (being jaded), but gay-themed love stories seem to be fresher and more sincere than a lot of romances in blockbusters today-- maybe due to more equal partnerships, genuine-seeming earning, or just their rariety among popular films?

Thanks for letting me share my review!

------------------
"Tear up the cloak of indifference that you have wrapped around your hearts! Make up your minds before it is too late!" ~Sophie Scholl

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd agree that queer stories are more sincere. I also find that queer movies are either deadly serious or very fun (of course, Tipping the Velvet is a bit of both).

I love happy endings as well, even if they're corny or unrealistic (well, as long as it's same-sex...otherwise I would be stooping to Julia Roberts!). I love But I'm a Cheerleader and Velvet Goldmine was cool too (even though I'm a lesbian I found Ewan McGregor & Christian Bale a hot couple). I think the saddest queer film I've seen is Boys Don't Cry - I ate a whole block of chocolate after that one.

I'd say that Tipping the Velvet is probably my favourite queer film (along with Show Me Love) because I love history (especially Victorian England) and the fashion of the time and Nan is gorgeous and it's just a great story that I can really relate to!

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you enjoyed the film then you'll love the book.

I saw the show on BBC and I bought the book a few months later.

I loved it, but to be honest, Rachel Sterling's(Nan) voice went through my head and out the other side.

All the actresses were very good at what they did though, and it was refreshing to see a queer story being told by a channel such as the BBC(they would be the stiffest of the stiff upper lips really).

And it didn't dwell on the gay issue. Even in the book, it's not that big a deal. Nan doesn't even seem to comprehend that it's wrong, which was nice.

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I love the book. As soon as part 1 finished I made my mum promise to buy it for me in the morning. I finished it last week (the miniseries finished here a week ago).

i am a cat
Neophyte
Member # 13784

Icon 1 posted      Profile for i am a cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The book was AMAZING. I absolutely devoured it.

I wish I could have seen the miniseries, but I'm not in the UK. I did see a couple of screencaps, though, and those were lovely.

For those of you who have seen the series and read the book, was the series pretty true to the book?

------------------
"Why should I have to be a skinny pencil? I'd rather be a happy magic marker." - Natalie on "Facts of "Life"

Posts: 38 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

It was pretty true to the book, especially at the start.

Part 3 was kinda different - in the miniseries Nan goes back to the stage and Kitty comes and sees her while she's rehearsing. When Nan rejects Kitty it is on the opening night of the show. Kitty is sitting in a box in the same place that Nan used to. She sings a song about the rose and gives it to Florence. I don't think she runs into Diana or Zena again either. But I still thought it was good (even if the books ending was better IMO).

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.