Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » AIDS and Francesca Lia Block

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: AIDS and Francesca Lia Block
HeatherRocksMyBobbySocks
Activist
Member # 7347

Icon 5 posted      Profile for HeatherRocksMyBobbySocks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, I love FLB. If you're not familiar with her, she wrote the Weetzie Bat books, Violet and Claire, I was a Teenage Fairy, Girl Goddess #9, Echo, The Rose and the Beast, and a few erotica books too. Okay, I may be a teeny tiny bit infatuated with her.

My question is if anyone else who has read her work has noticed the prevalance of AIDS in her stories. For those of you who haven't been lucky enough to stumble across her stories, she has a lot of diversity in her books. In Weetzie Bat, the main character, Weetzie slept with her husband (??they never say if they got married), and with her two gay best friends (it says that they "got tested and checked out" first to make sure that they could). The purpose being to get pregnant and have a child they could all parent, and it would be all of their's because they would never know for sure.

In Dragons In Manhatten (short story in Girl Goddess #9), this girl has two mom's, she goes on a cross country search for her father, only to find out that one of her moms was her dad, but had an operation right after her other mom got pregnant.

Really neat stuff not found in most YA books. So, my question is, why doesn't she say 'AIDS' or 'HIV'? She feels comfortable writing about things out of the normal, and she mentions things like that a lot, but never using the name (okay, as I'm looking through the books, I found one where she says it). Always saying things like: "my friend bam-bam is sick. He is really sick. The world is too scary right now. Even hough we're okay, how can anyone love anyone when you could kill them just by loving them?" and "some pictures taken before Clark got so thin and Eddie didn't always wear dark glasses" and "It's so sick. I nicked myself shaving my last night at home, and I saw my own blood and thought: How can I live in a world where this exsists - where love can become death? Even if the doctor says we're okay, how could we go on watching people die?"

So, my question to you is, how is that an author can talk about so many things that are considered taboo in today's society, and she'll talk about the disease, and everyone knows what it is...but she won't name it.

Any thoughts on that?

Posts: 103 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea, and unfortunately I couldn't find an address to write to FLB in my brief search. I did find an interview, though:
http://www.harperchildrens.com/hch/author/features/block/

and another whole page with a lot of stuff here:
http://www.harpercollins.com/hc/features/teen/Flb/home.asp

She is definitely a fascinating author!

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's clear from the context, maybe she doesn't feel the need to spell it out. If lots of people in your circle of friends are affected by HIV and AIDS, it can just become part of everyday life in a horrible way. So you just say "When so-and-so got sick ..." or "I went and got tested the other day ..." or whatever, and everyone knows what you're talking about. In fact, you might have to specify if you *didn't* mean HIV/AIDS. So maybe she's reflecting that.
Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kite
Activist
Member # 5957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've read one of the Weetzie Bat books (I didn't know there were several). From that and the excerpts you mention, I think she wants to keep a certain fairy tale style, and mentioning the disease by name would sort of bring her story back firmly into reality. Also, it seems from the excerpts that she wants to talk about AIDS as some nameless monster, a constant threat that is scary and devastating. Naming your fears is the first step to conquering them, and the effect she achieves is more powerful than naming the disease would be.

OK, I am in computer science final exam mode, so I'm not sure any of the above made sense. Did it?

Posts: 127 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeatherRocksMyBobbySocks
Activist
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeatherRocksMyBobbySocks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It totally did, and I think ya'll are right. *swoons* I'm so in love with FLB.
Posts: 103 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cate
Activist
Member # 3634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last summer I read Weetzie Bat, I was a Teenage Fairy, and Girl Goddess #9, after hearing bunches about it here at Scarleteen. And I loved them. I usually am not into books like that, but I really loved them. They were written beautifully, and after I finished reading them, they made me think.

I now love FLB, and can't wait to read the rest of her books.

Posts: 87 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.