Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Phoebe Gloeckner

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Phoebe Gloeckner
shimmers n' such
Neophyte
Member # 6816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shimmers n' such     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was watching SexTV one evening, and they were interviewing a comic book writer/illustrator, named Phoebe Gloeckner. She has written "A Child's Life" and "Diary of a Teenage Girl", both of which had varying reviews from "genious!" to being called a protrayal of child abuse. Many of the storylines are very sexual, and even though it is a young girl as the main character, it is not felt by her as a "bad" thing that happened, but rather just part of life. Has anyone else seen that particular episode of SexTV or read the books? Here is the website about the books. What is your opinion? Too risqué? Brilliant?
http://www.ravenblond.com/pgloeckner/

Posts: 33 | From: Ice Castle, Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vinnie Tesla
Neophyte
Member # 8041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vinnie Tesla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gloecker's brilliant, but very dark. She has a background as a medical illustrator, and it shows in her obsessively precise and detailed art.

She's very preoccupied with issues of abuse, gender, and teenage sexuality. She tells some rough, vivid stories from her own life. I have to admit I haven't gotten around to purchasing her new book yet, partially cause of cash-flow problems, and partially 'cause her work tends to be so depressing.

She should be highly-placed on any list of female writers & artists who deal frankly and honestly with sexuality issues.

Posts: 21 | From: Somewhere near Boston | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.