Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Queer Eye for the Straight Guy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Queer Eye for the Straight Guy
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's this new make-over show on Bravo (see subject for title), in which five gay guys give a straight guy a make-over. In TIME Magazine's article about it they are quoted as saying "After all these years of deciding whether to beat us up or borrow our outfits, [straight guys]are choosing the latter." I found this rather amusing.

And they are all quite aware that they are reinforcing a stereotype (gay guys being fashonistas) but they are ok with this. They figure its not all that bad a stereotype--who wouldn't want to be known for dressing well and being a great cook? At least, that's their justification. I don't know how I feel about that.

I just wanted to know what you all thought about this. I haven't seen the show, but the premise has made me a little cautious.

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I caught a few minutes of it last night, and found that it wasn't my forte' (granted, I'm hardly the best cook in the world -- a passable tofurkey reuben is about as gourmet as this boy gets -- and right now I'm wearing a t-shirt and over-sized cargo shorts), so I ended up changing the channel.

I guess I don't really mind the stereotype being perpetuated in this show -- but, I would be happier if there was other forms of programing on TV that do not. My favorite show on the tv right now is Will & Grace (mainly because I see far too many correlations between my roommate and myself with the show), but again, I also see that as perpetuating the supposed stereotype. Yes, that is one facet of queer-culture, but at the same time, there are so many more that remain virtually unexplored. Over time, I'm sure that it won't remain this way, but I'd like to see some more main-stream networks and studios start to explore the queer culture a little bit more indepth.

------------------
Tim, as in "Whoa, Dude."
Scarleteen Advocate

My hormones don't rage. Oh sure, they get mad sometimes, but then they just stop speaking to each other. -- Daria.

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hope you don't mind us moving this to Sex Literacy?

------------------
more surly than girly...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.