Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Hedwig and the Angry Inch

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's a movie. about transsexual punk rockers. not quite sure of the rest of it, but it looks pretty entertaining. can anyone let me know what they thought of it if they saw it?

------------------
"And who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 5 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey gumdrop,

Haven't heard of the film or seen it,, but the topic made me think of Hedgewig, Harry Potter's owl. I really shouldn't read those books so much!

I remember hearing about a vietnamese (I think) film about crossdressing volleyball players that looked very entertaining. Can't remember what it was called though.

Hugs & Scully,
Winnie :0)

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
exit seraphim
Activist
Member # 2566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for exit seraphim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hedwig was originally an off broadway play at the Jane Street Theatre in NY. It opened sometime in 1998 i believe.

It's about Hedwig Schmit, who was a transsexual heavy metal rocker immigrant from Germany. Her operation was botched and it's mainly about her struggle to find herself while experiencing emotional and physical problems due to her mutilation.

It has an amazing rock score too. sorta like david bowie in his ziggy star dust era.

my rocker friends loved this show soooo much when it came out...they went as many times as they could...but i doubt it's for everyone, and i don't know how they have changed it for the movie.

-justine

Posts: 142 | From: H*Ton, NY | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gillian's Gal, oh my god, you know the movie about the tranvestite volleyball players. that film is actually Thai (big kathoey (tranny) culture in Thailand). I watched it in my Thai class once, and it was hilarious!!!

------------------
"And who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackbird
Activist
Member # 4159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gumdrop Girl..I think I recall you mentioning that movie to me while we were watching the Pillow Book.

------------------
"1970 called. Al Pacino wants his car back."

blackbird's blog

Posts: 354 | From: san mateo, california, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey, i finally had a chance to watch Hedwig and the Angry Inch. I found it to be very entertaining. It's about a German tranny named Hedwig, and her punk band touring America on a shoestring budget. There are scenes of her life as a boy in East Berlin, her move to America, her botched sex-change operation, her struggles as a musician and all sort of stuff.

Things I didn't like: there were some short animation sequences that, while nice, didn't seems to fit in stylistically. Uhh, I can't exactly think of what else I didn't like. there was also a scene in an empty bar at the end that kinda struck me as odd. strange transitioning in that scene to the next.

It's campy. Hedwig and the Angry Inch has a strange, new-wave, anachronistic, in-the-now feel to it. The songs on the soundtrack are actually performed in the movie, and lemme tell ya, they're pretty dang good. Anyone who liked Velvet Goldmine is gonna like Hedwig.

go see it if you have the chance.

------------------
A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loooooooove Hedwig. It is currently tying with Hairspray as my favorite movie ever. It has an amazing soundtrack. It totally screws with gender. Cool love story too. It also included the hottest sex scene I've ever seen in a movie- the one where Johnny is masturbating . . . well, I won't give it away. Some people I know in San Francisco actually started dressing up as characters from the movie to go see it.

------------------
*Limes Are Sublime*

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.