Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Menstrual cup - give me your secrets

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Menstrual cup - give me your secrets
Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kabith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For real though. Give them to me.

I am on day two of using my first cup (I got the more flexible Lunette cup). Obviously I am not going to get the hang of it for a few cycles, but I am still really excited about it!

I just have a few questions, and then I am totally open to any/all of your advice on owning and using a menstrual cup!

Here are a few questions that have come up so far:
-Does lube make it harder for it to pop open? I feel pain and discomfort if I try to insert it without lubricant, especially getting the first "lip" part into me. I use the push-down fold, which seems to work well. But sometimes I wonder if using lube makes it harder for it to "pop open" or stay in the right spot. I've had to do a fair bit of twisting and turning and poking to get it open sometimes, and that can make me sore too.
-How do you get it out without hurting yourself? Sometimes getting a finger way up in there to break the suction hurts a little, and I also have a hard time grasping it to pinch and pull out. I left the tail on it, and I usually tug on it lightly with one hand while poking around with the other until it wiggles out. But then sometimes I can't get my hand positioned right before it "pops" out, spills fluid everywhere, and kind of smarts.
-Does the suction ever make you guys uncomfortable? Sometimes when I am adjusting it when I put it in, or when I am pulling out, the suction gets a little uncomfortable.
-Do you ever feel anything, while it is in? Sometimes I feel what I think are little air bubbles or something when I move around. Does that mean I haven't put it in right, or is that normal?

Hooray trying new things that are hopefully more healthy than the old things [Razz]

Posts: 120 | From: Washington State - USA | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't know if lube would make it harder to get the cup to pop open. If you need to use lube though, maybe trying another fold would help. There are a few different ones, illustrated quite nicely here: http://menstrual-cups.livejournal.com/1044441.html

As for taking it out, you don't really need to get a finger all the way up to the rim to break the suction, just pinching it from the base should be enough (although it does take practice). I've always found that there's a momentary ouch when the rim comes out, but it does decrease as you get used to it and figure out what angle works best for you. To help with spilling - been there, done that, it does totally suck getting blood on the floor, your clothes, whatever - I usually pull it out the last little ways with one hand while keeping the other one cupped underneath just in case. It's one of those things that you just need to do a bunch of times though, to get the hang of it.

I personally have never found the suction uncomfortable, or felt anything when it's in (unless it's not positioned quite right) but hopefully someone else will have some tips for you on that.

(There was a good thread on menstrual cups around here ages ago that might be helpful too - it should turn up if you do a boards search.)

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kabith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, thanks Karybu!
Posts: 120 | From: Washington State - USA | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

I think I am going to try the "Squiggle fold" from that link! [Wink]

(/kidding)

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.