Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Embarrassing to ask, but..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Embarrassing to ask, but..
Ccoolleenn
Neophyte
Member # 109286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ccoolleenn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vaginal odor. How do I get rid of it?

Here is some background - I have been noticing the unpleasant smell for the past few years with no other symptoms, so I know it is not an infection, and I only recently (in October) became sexually active. I never thought the smell was that bad, and thought it was just the way that it was, as I realize that the vagina isn't supposed to naturally smell like a rose garden.

Unfortunately, my boyfriend thinks otherwise. He says there has to be something that can make it better, and our sex life has faltered a LOT since he mentioned this to me. I was already self conscious about my body, and he wanted to try oral sex for the first time on me, but said he didn't want to unless this problem got better. And now, anything that has to do with sex makes me feel uncomfortable, because I feel embarrassed and like he is judging me, even though he swears I shouldn't be and that it wasn't that big of a deal. I feel that if this doesn't resolve, things are only going to get worse in this area.

I have researched many things that are said to make the problem better, but I wanted Scarleteen's opinion, as I was a little confused.
Probiotics - yes or no? And if so, what kind? There are so many options!
Using Tea Tree Oil as a wash for that area - good or bad?
Any other remedies that will help solve this problem?

Posts: 24 | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ccoolleenn,

If you've been noticing the smell for years, and you haven't had any symptoms (itching, painful urination, oddly colored discharge), then you're probably correct in thinking that this is probably just how your vaginal area smells. Beyond making sure you wash it while you're showering (don't use harsh soap on it, there isn't anything else you should be doing to keep it clean.

I'm sorry your boyfriend was insensitive about this. Am I correct in assuming that he isn't super sexually experienced? Because it sounds to me like he has an idea in his head about how vaginas are supposed to smell that isn't realistic. When you mentioned that this makes you feel like you're being judged, did he apologize?

You say you would like to resolve this issue. Given what I've said about there not being a "magic bullet" that will somehow make your vaginal area smell different, what would you like this resolution to include?

[ 01-31-2014, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ccoolleenn
Neophyte
Member # 109286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ccoolleenn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I am his first sexual partner, as he is mine. He did apologize, but also said that he wouldn't want to do anything of that nature for me unless it got better - which made me think that if that's just the way it smells, then too bad for me? I don't know, I guess that just upsets me, and he doesn't understand why. I don't know if I'm being petty, or what, but we have been having a lot of issues sexually lately - he has been having some problems with ED for the past few months, and really the only sexual stimulation I have received is manual stimulation that I can't really orgasm from, so maybe you can understand my frustration? He receives oral from me frequently, and the whole time I am just frustrated, but trying not to say anything about it, because I know that his ED is not his fault, and I don't want to make him feel worse about himself, but I am just getting more and more frustrated as time passes....

I was just wondering if maybe you had some suggestions of remedies for me to try on the off chance that this isn't the way that it is? I am highly doubting that it's just going to magically go away with some probiotics or something, but I want to at least tell him I tried.

Thank you

Posts: 24 | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, before anything else, there was a great piece about this I saw elsewhere a couple weeks ago that I think it might be good to have you look at: http://www.autostraddle.com/you-need-help-vulvas-taste-like-vulvas-217355/

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.