Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Horrible Depression before and on period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Horrible Depression before and on period
lonelykitten
Neophyte
Member # 109026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lonelykitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have NEVER been depressed because of my period before. When I say depressed, I don't mean sad. I mean, a horrible, constant, gut wrenching sadness in my stomach, like when someone breaks my heart. It's so, so, so awful. I've just been so incredibly worried about losing my boyfriend (even though we don't have any problems) and just feeling like I'm going to screw things up. I am generally happy, but I really do have problems I KNOW I've gotta fix like basing my happiness around my boyfriend. I have already began to assess those issues, but the stupid depressed feeling, the stomach wrenching pain is still NOT going away. I'm 5 days into my period, usually they last 7. I just want the sadness to be upset- I'm DYING to be happy! I've been feeling depressed since last Tuesday, so it's been almost a week now. I got my period last Thursday.

I really, really want to be happy. I talked to a crisis counselor at school about my fear of my boyfriend leaving, and my anxiety problems, he gave me so much great advice and also said I need to start taking medicine for my anxiety, I really really want to, but I don't know when I'll be able to go to the doctor.

Anyway... I know the basics... "Hang out with my friends, listen to happy music, dance, have fun, stop thinking about losing your boyfriend and you'll stop being depressed" ... and I've been dancing and listening to good music and seeing my friends at school but I still get that feeling in my stomach, the gut wrenching pain when I think of losing him...

In the past, my depression has made a boy leave me.... I need to stop comparing my present to the past, I know that because they're two TOTALLY different guys.. but it's still in the back of my mind, and it wants be to be my happy self all the more.

So,
Is it normal to get THIS depressed before/during my period? Is there something I can do to make sure this depression NEVER happens again?

Thank you so much.

--------------------
meow

Posts: 24 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Intense mood changes, like depression or anxiety, before and during a period are things that happen, but when they are this extreme, they should be evaluated by a healthcare professional.

That kind of depression isn't situational, but chemical, so self-care tends to only get people so far. What tends to work better are approaches that help decrease those chemical changes: things like anti-depressant medication, sometimes hormonal methods of birth control, dietary changes, exercise changes and others.

Can we help you find an OB/GYN or a mental healthcare professional to see so you can get started on having someone look into this for you?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lonelykitten
Neophyte
Member # 109026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lonelykitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would seriously love to see a doctor, and my crisis counselor at school really really wants to get me an appointment, but my mom is really sick and has her license taken away until she is seizure free for 6 months... and my dad is always working. So, I don't know how soon I can get to a doctor.

I really, really want help because I seriously hate feeling like this when I WANT TO BE HAPPY so bad and don't have any true problems. I don't want to worry about losing him for no reason, it kills me.

--------------------
meow

Posts: 24 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want you to feel better, too!

Have you looked to see what healthcare, or a clinic, is available near you you can get yourself to by walking, bus, bike or some other way of getting around?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any way you could get to a doctor yourself? Maybe there's a friend who could take you? Or public transport?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lonelykitten
Neophyte
Member # 109026

Well,I'm 14 and there's a ton of snow and the doctor is 15 miles away.. and I live in a place where we have 0 public transport. I'll just have to really talk to my parents and explain how big of an issue this is.

I'm just wondering.. I have bad anxiety even when I'm not on my period. If he gave me medicine for that, would it take care of how bad it gets on my period?

--------------------
meow

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's possible, but that's something you'll need to discuss with a healthcare provider. There are so many different medications for anxiety and everyone reacts slightly differently, so it's tough to predict what it would do for you.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.