Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Stress = no period or late period?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stress = no period or late period?
inxperienced18
Neophyte
Member # 108743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for inxperienced18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi there.
I've had a pregnancy scare this month, as I was dry-humping for the fist time ever. Even though no fluids came out of my partner's penis, and sperm cannot safely travel through even one layer of clothing (and we both had on two layers), I didn't know until now that it poses absolutely no risk of pregnancy, because of your website.
Now I'm due to have my period in the next week, my last one started on 2 October, but I'm pretty irregular so I don't know when the next one is coming precisely.
Now I'd like to know - if I was heavily stressed out this month, how late could that make my period? And could it cause it to stay away completely? (just imagine how stressed I'd be if it doesn't come, seeing how I'm already a bit freaked out)

I would appreciate it if someone could just clear this up for me [Smile]

Posts: 13 | From: Africa | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello lidamalherbe!

Welcome to scarleteen, I'm so happy to hear that our articles cleared that up for you!

With periods being delayed or being missed it's worth just thinking about how your whole body including your brain is all interconnected, and about how unique your own metabolism is going to be. Stress levels are going to change your blood pressure and maybe even your body chemistry, and your reproductive system is going to be effected that. The extent to which is effected will really vary from person to person.

As your periods are already pretty irregular, I would think that perhaps your periods are maybe a little more temperamental and reactive to the situation than someone who has super-regular periods. It sounds quite likely to me that you could be the type of person who could have a period delayed or missed because of stress.

The other side of that coin is that, even if your period never came, or if it came extremely late, you still might not know for sure that it was the stress that caused it. Even someone who has period on the exactly expected day every 28 days wouldn't know, because it can happen to anyone.

Paying attention to what happens to your period in relation to stress over time, however, could make things clearer. Much of this is about getting to know your own body rather than learning what 'should' happen.

I hope that helps. I would also recommend this article of ours for further reading:
Dude, Where's my period?

Posts: 693 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
inxperienced18
Neophyte
Member # 108743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for inxperienced18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(hi, still me, just changed my name)
okay, so the reason why my period might be late because of stress is because my body would have decided that the conditions aren't right for a baby, and that it would be better not ovulate right around then.
Is it also possible for stress to cause a missed period?
I'm sorry if I'm a bit irritating, I just can't get my mind off this, and I can't really talk to my mom about it [Smile]

Posts: 13 | From: Africa | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Inxperienced18,

What happens with stress is that it affects hormones. When one or two hormones in our bodies change, they can affect other hormones and bodily chemicals.

So, your body wasn't actually thinking about whether it was okay to have a baby or not. It was saying: "Wow, my hormones are different this month. I don't have what I need to be able to ovulate right now."

Yes, those effects on your hormones can mean that your period is really late, or skipped altogether.

it's also really not that unusual for menstrual cycles to change, for someone to, for example, skip a period every once in a while for no apparent reason.

Does this help at all?

Can I ask what keeps you from talking to your Mom about period stuff?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey,

I guess your body doesn't decide about the conditions for babies, the only brain in your body is in your head! Irregular periods are just that, something a bit irregular and a little bit random... I'm not sure there's anything as logical as a 'decision' going on.

For that reason yes a stress could be part of the cause for a missed period.

And it's not irritating... this is what I love to do!

Posts: 693 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
inxperienced18
Neophyte
Member # 108743

Thank you, Jacob. I really appreciate it [Smile]
Hello, Robin [Smile]

The information you've given me helps immensely, yes, thank you so much. If it weren't for this site I probably would have still been stressing myself half to death about a possible pregnancy, because I'm super inexperienced about these things.

The reason I'm not really able to talk to my mom is because I come from a rather conservative background, and we don't talk about things like that a lot around here. M mom is also a bit emotionally distant, if you understand what I'm saying. She's never really spoken to me about things like this, I'm very afraid to talk to her about say missed periods or so, because I'm scared that she would think that I'm sexually active, even though I am not. She usually takes things very seriously, and create situations where there aren't any. Like, if I were to tell her that I missed a period, she would automatically assume that I have had sex and Have become pregnant, even though that is not at all the case.

[ 10-26-2013, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: inxperienced18 ]

Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

I hear you. Sadly our parents can't always be helpful in the ways we'd like them to be. That's actually how I ended up at scarleteen... and it worked out for me!

It sounds like reading is maybe the best way for you to get information and ideas for now, I'm glad you found that out. Hopefully you get to meet people in your life who are way more supportive on sexual stuff.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.