Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Encouraging my gf

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Encouraging my gf
scarecrow16
Neophyte
Member # 47165

Icon 5 posted      Profile for scarecrow16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been with my current girlfriend for almost 2 years at this point, and we plan I making a future out of our relationship. But she has a terrible view of her self image, and constantly kind of pits herself down. The hardest part about it is, I've noticed that she's gained as decent amount of weight. I've been nothing but supportive of her, and honestly will not love her any less because of her body, but her and I both would like to see her get back to the size she was when we started dating. She lacks the discipline to actually change it, and just complains about it. How do I help to motivate her to want to take control of her body? I've already suggested that we work out together but she shot that down.
Posts: 3 | From: United States | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scarecrow!

You know? Bodies rarely stay the same through the years. As we get older it's normal for our bodies to change of shape. Just the way it is.

Personally, I don't think that losing weight equals having control of your body. So I don't think I could give you much advice on that.

But what I can tell you is that, a body is way more than just a size or a shape. I hear you saying you have been nothing but supportive with her, and that is really good [Smile] . But what if you both focus more in healthy habits and a better self image rather than droping a couple of pounds?

IOW, what about talking with her about what does she need in order to feel better in the body she already has?

I think you and her will find this article interesting:

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/body/the_scarleteen_doit

Hope it helps! [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.