Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Softcups

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Softcups
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to use a softcup for the first time today, and couldn't get it in at all. As of yet, all I've ever managed to get inside myself is one finger at a time or a pessary applicator when I had a yeast infection, and both of those things required a lot of lubricant. Is it safe to lube a softcup or will that make them fall out, and if it is safe, with what? I think I probably have some kind of vaginismus, and while I'm not sexually active so it's not a day-to-day problem, it is rather inconvenient in circumstances like this, so I'm wondering if I should bother doing anything about it.
Posts: 475 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A softcup, like a diaphragm, is held in place by the pubic bone, so lubricant isn't going to make them not be held in place. bear in mind, too, that the inside of the vagina is moist, so it's not like without lube it'd be sitting somewhere dry.

Someone with vaginismus is going to experience a great deal of pain attempting to insert anything into the vagina, even a finger, usually. And it's not advised that someone with vaginismus try to insert things without working with a healthcare provider, as that can actually make that condition worse. So, if you think you may indeed have vaginismus, before you try doing things like using menstrual cups, I'd suggest talking with a healthcare provider.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snorkmaiden
Neophyte
Member # 103905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snorkmaiden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's okay to use a water-based lubricant with menstrual cups, including softcups. Good luck!
Posts: 17 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a day since I tried it and it still hurts rather badly. I'm concerned I might have caused some actual damage [Frown] My doctors' is always booked up for ages, should I try to make an appointment anyway?

(As for the occasion I managed to get my finger in, I wouldn't say it hurt exactly but without a lot of the antifungal cream I was applying at the time it wouldn't go in at all and it certainly wasn't very comfortable. The pessary was rather painful.)

Posts: 475 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vulvar and vaginal tissues are really sensitive, so while it's certainly possible that you injured yourself, it's more likely that the pain is just an irritation which will heal over time so long as you don't do anything to irritate it further.

It sounds like your difficulty with vaginal entry is something you'd benefit from discussing with your doctor. If that's the case, and it takes a while to get in to see them, you would want to call soon to book an appointment. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.