Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Zits/cysts/something in my hair down there

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Zits/cysts/something in my hair down there
Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kabith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!

I have been having this issue for a little while, but it just occurred to me that I could ask about it here! Probably!

So, I do not really mess with my pubic hair much. Mostly I just trim it with scissors, but I don't shave or wax or anything because I have very sensitive skin.

However, my skin has been doing weird things in that area lately. It is in that triangle area where there is hair, above the top of my "slit" so to speak. I have gotten things that look like bad zits, or maybe cysts (sp?). They can swell to about the size of a pea. Sometimes they pop and are totally gross, sometimes they kind of fade away... but if I press on that spot I can feel something underneath, which makes me think that it is still there. Sometimes when they pop, and I am cleaning them out, a little hard black "core" will pop out as well. I had also been getting this kind of itchy spot that was swelling, but didn't seem like a zit. It turned a purpley color a few days ago, and was kind of squishy. I was absentmindedly scratching at it today while I was putting on my pj's, and it burst! Blood all over my pajamas >_>

I cleaned out all the wounds very thoroughly with disinfectant and neosporin. It is hard for me to bandange that area, because of the hair. I don't really want to shave the hair to make treating these wounds easier (it would make it much easier) because I am afraid that I will just cause more weird skin problems. These things are starting to get on my nerves, and they take FOREVER to heal. I am also always a little worried about open wounds... especially down in that area.

Also, I do not have any STIs. I am seeing a partner exclusively who also does not have STIs. We do not have vaginal sex, but do participate in other sexual activities. I usually do not do any sexual activity when a wound has "burst," and wait for it to heal up a bit.

Any suggestions from you? I would like to avoid seeing a doctor because a) I am already up to my ears in medical expenses, and b) it is a tad bit of an awkward place. But do you think I should ask a doctor about it?

*sigh*

Posts: 120 | From: Washington State - USA | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kabith,

skin on the genitals is like skin on any other part of the body in that it can get itches, rashes, pimples, growths, and so on.

You've mentioned that neither you nro your partner have any STIs. I just want to double-chec that you know this because you've both been recently tested, as that is the only way for any of us to know for certain that we don't have STIs.

Since shaving can sometimes irritate skin (and you already know you have sensitive skin), I'd say shaving could possibly make things more uncomfortable. I'd suggest just trimming the hair close to make it easier for you to keep your vulva clean and treat any burst pimples.

I'd also suggest having this checked out by a healthcare provider if it doesn't show any signs of clearing up. There may be some lower-cost healthcare options in your area, so should you need medical care around this, you won't have to add too much to the medical expenses you already have.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kabith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Robin!

I actually just got tested today, and should hear back in a few weeks. My boyfriend and I have been exclusive with one another, and we are each others first sexual relationship, so I consider us a pretty low risk.

During my pap smear/women's wellness exam today, I had my doctor look over the area and she just said to keep it clean, and that it looked like I kept getting irritated or ingrown hair follicles, but she couldn't really give me any other advice not being a dermatologist.

Posts: 120 | From: Washington State - USA | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear you got tested, and sorry your doctor couldn't give you more helpful advice (although keeping the area clean is definitely a good start). It might be worth going to see a dermatologist if this keeps happening; it's possible that there are some low-cost options out there.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.