Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Spotting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spotting
Kathryn2425
Activist
Member # 107882

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Kathryn2425     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! The other day I went to the bathroom and when I wiped there was just a spot of brown on the toilet paper in which I have never ever had happen before. My period is due in about 5 days so what's going on?
Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!

I'm no expert here, but I may be able to offer some help. Some brown spotting before your period starts is normal. I sometimes get that myself, and actually just had that a few weeks ago. Brown blood is just old blood, whereas bright red blood is fresher.

Are you on any kind of birth control - the pill, patch, etc.? If you are, spotting is a side effect of medications like the pill; especially in the first few months of use, but these side effects can still occur at any time.

Are you under any stress at the moment - not sleeping well, not eating well, or anything else? Sometimes, that can cause a bit of spotting, too.

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spotting is something that does happen from time to time; there's no way to know why this might be happening right now, but it's not necessarily a cause for concern on its own.

I know in an earlier thread when you mentioned having some very light bleeding and irregular periods Heather suggested you talk to a doctor about it; have you thought about doing that at all?

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathryn2425
Activist
Member # 107882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathryn2425     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My periods have not really been irregular it's just that the last one I had was lighter and darker than usual. I talked to the doctor about it an he said its nothing to worry about because sometimes periods do that but I was just wondering if the spotting could maybe be from my ovarian cyst?
Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have ovarian cysts, then your doctor's really the person to ask about it; we just couldn't know that. But since you have asked your doctor about this issue in the past and he didn't seem to think there was anything to worry about, I think your best bet is to just accept that your periods are not always going to look consistent and that you may just have some spotting from time to time.
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathryn2425
Activist
Member # 107882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathryn2425     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay thanks! That makes me feel a lot better:)
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it makes you feel any better, I'm on the pill and my periods still act erratic at times! Sometimes they come a little earlier or later, or I have different coloured blood than usual, or they're a little heavier or lighter than last month. I know exactly how you feel: when my body does something different than I usually expect from it, I get really worried, too. But the staff and volunteers here have made me see that our bodies can never be like machines; and they can't always be predictable. [Smile] Also, so many processes in the body affect your menstrual cycle, even with stuff like the pill or anything else that is also affecting things like ovulation. I spot sometimes before my periods, which doesn't often happen, but I'm trying to just accept it as something that will probably happen at times. [Smile]

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.