Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Reusable Pad Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reusable Pad Question
Roxie102
Peer Ambassador
Member # 72015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roxie102     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone! I've been thinking for a while about taking the plunge and buying some reusable cotton menstrual pads, but I have one question - what does one do if she is in public and needs to change her pad? Do you have to roll up the soiled pad and stick it in your bag/purse until you get home? That would seem a little unsanitary and stinky to me. Thanks!
Posts: 255 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi Roxie,

Doing that really isn't unsanitary if you put the dirty pad in its own bag, either just a regular old plastic bag or something that can be closed securely and washed later. The pad company I use, Lunapads, sells vinyl storage bags which close securely and are easily wiped out.

There also isn't generally much of a stink, particularly if you do take care to put the dirty pad in a separate bag. I've found that menstrual blood doesn't smell nearly as much once it dries.

I do admit though that my experience with this is limited as I've usually been able to change my pads at home or in a hotel room. other people may have different perspectives or more input.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually carry a ziploc bag or similar with me and put the used liner/pad in there until I get home. The vinyl storage bags that Lunapads sells do the trick as well, and when I used one (until I misplaced it) I never noticed the smell to be an issue.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.