Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » When is it necessary to get therapy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When is it necessary to get therapy?
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I've been told by a few doctors that I seem to have symptoms of "mild to moderate" depression. I don't know how necessary it is for me to get therapy, though. I just feel like there are so many people in the world who have so many issues, maybe mine aren't bad enough to the point that I need therapy.

I guess my overall question (as seen in the subject bar) is: When is it necessary to get therapy? How does one know when they need it?

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Posts: 301 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaddleyLove
Activist
Member # 102003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaddleyLove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heya MusicNerd [Smile]

thought I might offer some input in here, given that I am in a similiar situation to you and have just started therapy, if fact, I had an appointment this morning [Smile]

in my experience, I got to a point where I knew that I simply couldn't bottle up my feelings anymore, and, for the sake of my sanity it was important for me to ask for help. it was hard, taking that first step and asking, but its so worth it and it makes the whole process easier [Smile]

perhaps there are people with seemingly worse issues- don't forget that you, too deserve help, just as much as them. besides, if you go without help, you may find you feel worse [Smile]

I suppose you should ask yourself- do YOU feel you need therapy? this is a perfect time to be 'selfish' if you like [Razz] when it comes to your own wellbeing, you need to take care of YOU and YOUR needs, thinking about what would benefit YOU.

why not drop into your doctor and just ask if you can get an appointment with someone? you can always drop out if you feel its not for you, but at least your name will be on the list [Smile]

hope this helps [Smile]

Posts: 199 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Music Nerd,

Have your doctors made specific recommendations about how to handle this depression? There are many ways to handle mild to moderate depression, one of which is psychotherapy.

Therapists don't judge people on the level or type of their issues or concerns. It's much more about how and in what ways a person's issues and concerns are impacting their life.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nosalis
Neophyte
Member # 105716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nosalis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, only you can decide if you really need therapy. Therapy only really helps if you want to get or feel better, otherwise any progress is going to be a long and difficult process.

It might be a good idea to keep in mind that the "my problems aren't bad enough other people have it worse" argument might be the depression influencing you.

Posts: 19 | From: North Central Texas | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might also help to think of it this way: it is not as though you getting therapy takes it away from someone who needs it "more". So, you can test out this therapy thing by going to a handful of sessions, and seeing how you feel about it. And if you come away feeling that it is helping you and that you benefit from it, then it looks like therapy is something that is good for you, and something you should take advantage of to impove your overall well-being.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the responses, everybody!

I'm not sure if the whole "other people have it worse" thing is from my depression, but I guess it could be. Well, my doctors suggested that I go to psychological/counselling services here at college, but when I got injured I was too distracted by that to go seek help. I also was kind of reluctant to the idea of meeting with a therapist for whatever reason; but now I feel like my depressive feelings have gotten a bit worse lately, and I don't want them to. I guess I could try it out like you guys have suggested. The thing is, if I were to seek help, I'd prefer to do so at school (since I don't want my parents to find out about my depression), but school ends in like two weeks.

[ 04-12-2013, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: MusicNerd ]

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Posts: 301 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaddleyLove
Activist
Member # 102003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaddleyLove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you could investigate what services your school provides and then ask what arrangements could be made for the holidays? they may be able to offer you something that way [Smile]
Posts: 199 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Hey MaddleyLove! I forgot to tell you earlier that your first post made me happy with all the smiley faces in it, so thanks for brightening up my day a bit. [Smile]

I guess I could look into that. The only thing is that I wouldn't be able to go to therapy without my parents finding out. They wouldn't let me go out of the house unless they knew where I was going (like to my job, for instance). I guess I could also wait until the end of August when school starts up again, too.

--------------------

MaddleyLove
Activist
Member # 102003

Hiya MusicNerd!

Glad to hear I cheered you up some [Smile]

You could say you were meeting a friend, or doing some extra hours at work? But you obviously have your reasons for not wanting your parents find out, so I'm just offering (hopefully!) helpful suggestions [Smile]

lilptrick
Neophyte
Member # 108800

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilptrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At this point of time, I think you shouldn't ignore the symptoms and look for professional help as soon as possible. Don't worry your parent will understand it is not uncommon to develop this kind of problems. Therapist are the healers and I am damn sure after visiting them you won't regret your decision.

--------------------
-signature edited out for advertising

Posts: 1 | From: Indiana | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey lilptrick!

Welcome to Scarleteen!

I just edited out your signature simply because it advertises a service without a whole lot of context. And advertising is not part of our user agreement. However feel free to share resources if it's specifically helpful to the user. I hope this makes sense.

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.