Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Strange period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Strange period
Kathryn2425
Activist
Member # 107882

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Kathryn2425     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My latest period came 4 days early and it started out really light and got a little heavier, but not much. It has only lasted about 4 days now too and I usually bleed a considerable amount for at least 3 days. I gave my ex bf a hand job 3 months ago and I know that does not cause a pregnancy risk and I've also had 2 other periods since then also that seemed pretty normal except that the days were irregular, 29 days and 31 days, now it's 26 days. Is there anything I should e concerned with?
Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, through a lifetime, menstrual cycles and periods will sometimes just be different than we're used to, or shift. If you've never had a change like this before, you should probably figure it's the first of many times it may happen through your life.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathryn2425
Activist
Member # 107882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathryn2425     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay so the minimal bleeding and irregular dates are nothing to worry about?
Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few days of deviation in menstrual cycles, even with some regularity, is actually more common than not. In fact, looking at your cycles over the last few months, it seems like deviations of a few days have already been your normal.

Unless these changes are accompanied by things that suggest a health concern -- pain you haven't had before, for instance -- or you suspect this isn't a period, but unexplained vaginal bleeding (especially if you've been engaging in genital sex without safer sex, and haven't recently been tested for infections), I see no cause for concern here.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathryn2425
Activist
Member # 107882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathryn2425     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay thanks! I haven't had any sexual contact in my life except for the manual sex 3 months ago which is no cause for concern but another thing I was wondering too is that I had no symptoms at all with this recent period, is that also normal?
Heather
Member # 3

Again, with periods "normal" is tricky, because cycles, and people's experiences with them, can vary so much.

So, is it normal for you? Sounds like maybe not so much. But, like I said, at least every now and then, our cycles or periods are going to throw us a curve ball. remember: they're influenced by almost every other part of our body, our health, and what's going on in our life, including things like how much rest we are or aren't getting, changes in how we eat or are managing stresses, the works. So, in a lifetime, they really can vary a great deal.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Kathryn2425
Activist
Member # 107882

Yes this period was really strange to me and just seemed and felt different. I have been feeling really stressed and depressed lately and my sleep schedule is really thrown off right now so maybe that's what it is.
Kathryn2425
Activist
Member # 107882

Can those be the causes of a lighter period though?
Heather
Member # 3

Yep. Like I said, all kinds of different parts of lifestyle and health changes can be.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Kathryn2425
Activist
Member # 107882

Okay thanks for your help!
Kathryn2425
Activist
Member # 107882

Is it normal for it to seem more brown an clumpy than usual?
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brown menstrual discharge results from blood sticking around a bit before coming out, I think I'd expect it to be a bit 'clumpier', but that all depends by what you mean by clumpy, if you mean the blood is more particulate... then I'd say that's just a result of the blood hardening before being discharged... if there is big lumps of something else in your discharge then it could be something to investigate further.

It might be worth having a read of this article just to get clear on what discharge indicates a problem and what not. I.e. we name discharge which is lumpy like cottage cheese as a sign of infection or illness.
Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathryn2425
Activist
Member # 107882

Okay so my period basically ended yesterday and it was weird this time, but now there's this creamy dirt colored discharge. What could be the cause of this?
Heather
Member # 3

We just couldn't possibly say. But given you've now had too not-normal-for-you discharges, I'd suggest checking in with your healthcare provider about it.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.