Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Naturopaths?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Naturopaths?
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this isn't Scarleteen's specific area, but I really hope you'll forgive the question, as I don't know who else sensible and informed to ask. Can any folk here who know about these things suggest resources for what to look for and how to find good quality, reliable and educated non-Western medicine practitioners? I don't even know if "naturopath" is the exact word I need.

I've had a skin infection for nearly a year now that Western medicine seems to be entirely failing to treat - the only widely known Western treatment seems to be antibiotics, and I've spent months and months on different ones, each of which improve the situation greatly for 2-3 weeks but don't quite cure it, and then the infection gets gradually worse again until the same procedure with a different antibiotic. Without any medication, it just gets worse and spreads, and much itchier into the bargain. (The problem started when a doctor did not continue the first antibiotic treatment beyond a week when the original very ordinary infection had not quite gone, and the infection then went bananas rapidly over my entire body and has been incurable ever since.) Unsurprisingly, I'm getting increasingly miserable, frustrated and desperate, and it's having a severely bad effect on my body image and comfort in my own body, and I don't really want physical skin contact with other people, which is bad for me in multiple ways.

So I think it's time to try something different. I know that Western medicine does not know the answer to everything-ever medical, but I also have no time or trust for quackery, and it can be hard to identify who else is in that category. I know there are folk here who are, so as I said, I hope you forgive the question, because I don't know where else to start with looking for this information, and I'm doing badly with this infection.

Thank you in advance for any of your suggestions/info.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Redskies,

Well, there are different types of non-Western medicine practitioners. Naturopath is, as I understand it, a term mostly used for folks who study at school of naturopathic medicine. Other folks you might encounter are acupuncturists, herbalists, ayurvedic physicians, and so on. Many folks will practice several different modalities.

In terms of how to make sure they have the training and expertise you feel comfortable with, I think going about finding that out is generally like finding that out for any other healthcare provider (or any other professional we're getting services from, for that matter).

So, some questions you might want to ask are:

Where were you trained?

How long have you been in practice?

Do you have experience with the kinds of symptoms I'm experiencing?

Depending on what type of practitioner you choose, they may or may not have credentials recognized by the country you're living in, but if they have been trained, that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Perhaps you'd find it helpful to do some reading and figure out which non-Western medical system you feel comfortable with, or which one you think might best meet your needs. One place to start with that would be with some of the integrative medicine folks in the west, who are usually healthcare providers trained in the Western system who have looked beyond that system for other ways to work with their patients. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with any of these providers in Europe, but a few folks here in the U.S. are Andrew Weil, Christian Northrup, and Sarah Gottfried. They all have books, which, if you can get your hands on them might give you some ideas for where to start with non-western treatments.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Robin. I'm really not good at navigating information when I don't know what I'm looking for or where to start, but with a starting place, I'm usually good at following an information trail. So, I'll go do some reading about those U.S. folk you named. Thank you again.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.