Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Period? Cervical mucus?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Period? Cervical mucus?
Jpass
Neophyte
Member # 107699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jpass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does having cervical mucus indicate that I am ovulating and that my period will come? Is it possible to have cervical mucus but miss my period?
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there, Jpass.

Have you read these three pieces yet, which can give you more education about your cycles and discharges, including cervical mucus (and the fact that having it most times in your cycle is a given)?

• On the Rag: A Guide to Menstruation
• Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions
• Get With the Flow: All About FAM

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jpass
Neophyte
Member # 107699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jpass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was blood in the discharge today and in 2 days is my expected period. Is this normal?
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carpe Diem
Activist
Member # 47124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carpe Diem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That probably just means that your period is en route as expected.
I have had dark discharge before and after my period in the past. so I'd say this is par for the course when it comes to your body/cycle.

--------------------
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain."
-Joseph Campbell

Posts: 210 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jpass
Neophyte
Member # 107699

I had some blood on the tissue when I wiped this morning but its not my period..
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At this point, all we can really do is advise you to either wait this out, or check in with a sexual healthcare provider if you're concerned.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jpass
Neophyte
Member # 107699

Could it be due to stress?
Heather
Member # 3

Stress is generally not going to cause vaginal bleeding or blood in discharge, no.

But again, we can't know what it is or isn't period, that's only something you or someone who can examine you could be likely to figure out best.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Jpass
Neophyte
Member # 107699

I just got my period a few hours ago, but it seems more lighter than my normal period.. And I read that stress could make my period earlier and lighter?
Carpe Diem
Activist
Member # 47124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carpe Diem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can bet that your periods are not going to be carbon copies of each other from month to month. Throughout any woman's lifetime the characteristics of her period will definitly go though changes.
I hear you talking a lot about stress though. May I ask what it is in particular that has you so stressed out?

Posts: 210 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jpass
Neophyte
Member # 107699

I've been stressed cause there was an incident where my boyfriend had unnoticeable amount of pre cum on his palms, and then touched my vulva with his fingers. He wiped his hands and he also used different hands. And I guess I was really worried about the what ifs and having the period would reassure me that I'm not pregnant. I'm just stressed and paranoid and I want to make sure it is my period.
Jpass
Neophyte
Member # 107699

I'm just worried about if what we remember is not right.. Like using different hands
Carpe Diem
Activist
Member # 47124

Rest assured, you cannot get pregnant from the activity you've described, for the straight up reason that pregnancy just does not occur that way [Smile]

--------------------
-Joseph Campbell

Carpe Diem
Activist
Member # 47124

By the way, maybe these articles will help shed some light on your situation and assist in reassuring you so that you shuck off some of that stress you were talking about.
http://m.scarleteen.com/article/advice/can_i_get_pregnant_or_get_or_pass_on_an_sti_from_that
http://m.scarleteen.com/article/advice/pregnancy_scared

[ 07-01-2013, 07:02 AM: Message edited by: Carpe Diem ]

--------------------
-Joseph Campbell

Jpass
Neophyte
Member # 107699

My period is starting to look normal now! Thank you for your help [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

For future reference, I generally figure we can't really know if something is a period or not until we see what happens after a day or two.

In other words, right when you start to have some bleeding or flow, you kind of can't know what it is until you see how and if it continues. recognizing what our period is or isn't generally requires really watching patterns over some time, and giving things some time, especially since periods just won't always look or feel the same way every time.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.