Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Menstrual Cup Insertion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Menstrual Cup Insertion
minty
Neophyte
Member # 94668

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I decided to try a menstrual cup. I bought a DivaCup and am using it for the first time. (I've never had any problems using tampons or any problems with cramping, but I'd heard some women report a shorter period using menstrual cups due to the suction and I was curious to see if that benefit would pan out for me too).

I experienced some pain when trying to insert the cup. I tried both of the suggested folding methods and neither worked. Fold option 2 was slightly better, but it still hurt too much for me to get the entire cup in and in the end, I gave up. I blame myself (I would get nervous and tense up, making things worse), rather than the cup, but I'm looking for ways to make insertion easier.

Is it safe to use a water-based lube to aid insertion? Will lube affect the seal?

Thanks.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snorkmaiden
Neophyte
Member # 103905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snorkmaiden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's perfectly fine to use a water-based lube with menstrual cups. Also, there are lots more folding options than just two. See here:
http://menstrual-cups.livejournal.com/453392.html
and here:
http://menstrual-cups.livejournal.com/1044441.html

Or if you prefer a video, try here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep5hh0W-nFw

Once you get through the learning curve, using your cup should not hurt at all. Please be gentle with yourself. Good luck!

Posts: 17 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Snorkmaiden, those are great links! Thanks for sharing.

Minty, I found that it took a few tries over the course of two or three periods for me to figure out the best way to insert my menstrual cup. As I first got used to it I found that standing up with one foot propped up on something, like a toilet seat or the side of a tub, to be the easiest position to be in for inssertion.

Also, I really only found it to be comfortable once I trimmed the stem way down; I think it's recommended that you leave some length at the bottom but I cut mine almost all the way off before it felt right. Your experience may be different, though.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cricket
Activist
Member # 96015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cricket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with both the previous posters, it takes a little while to learn to use the cup comfortably and it helps to try a few different folds and insertion positions to figure out what's comfiest for you. I also trimmed the stem on mine wayyy down, almost removed it entirely, which helped.
Posts: 62 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.