Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Birth Control and Missed Periods: When to worry?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control and Missed Periods: When to worry?
Rolta
Neophyte
Member # 49038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rolta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on my current birth control for almost 2 years. I tried a few others before and I'm really happy with my current one because the ones I tried before gave me horrible headaches.
The only thing is, I'll skip a period every once in a while on this birth control. Sometimes I'll skip two months, the longest time was 3 months.
I really don't want to change pills because I had such a bad experience with the other ones. I take a fairly low dosage. It used to be that whenever I missed a period I would freak out and buy a pregnancy test but now I'm wondering is it worth it anymore? I take my pills on time and I always use condoms. I know that it's common for me to miss periods.
Right now I haven't had my period for two months so I'm wondering if I should buy a pregnancy test just in case, even though it's extremely unlikely I'm pregnant? Or should I just trust that it's my pills and not worry about it?

Posts: 17 | From: Columbus Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say if this has been happening for you for a while now, chances are it isn't pregnancy. If you are also using condoms every time, personally, I don't see any need to test.

That aside, if this doesn't bother you, and your prescribing physician doesn't think it's a cause for concern, I wouldn't say it is either.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.