Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Body battles to body peace

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Body battles to body peace
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It'll sometimes -- hopefully -- happen in life that with our bodies in general, or some part of our bodies, we can shift from feeling at war with them to feeling at peace.

Sometimes that's something that just happens over time without actually making any effort to make that change. Other times, that change happens as a result of really working at a different attitude towards our bodies or their parts.

Have you experienced a change like this? Where your relationship with your body, or one (or more) of its parts has changed from one that was very negative and acrimonous to one which was positive or, at least, accepting and more peaceful?

If so, how did that happen for you? And how has that change impacted your life?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that the primary purpose of this site is for teens and early twenties, but since I had slightly ( [Wink] ) interrupted formative years with my mental illness, I think what I have to say is still relevant as I am not particularly sexually experienced, but I am comfortable with my body now.

I would say the biggest thing that helped me get over the frequent "does size matter" matter was having a frank chat with a female friend of mine who used to be a sexuality educator. After sharing my thoughts and fears, I got over my worries and have felt very comfortable with my body almost ever since.

And I'm not sure if this is TMI, but I have regular very enjoyable masturbation/solo sex sessions and am happy with myself how I am, which will aid me greatly when I decide to get into a more intimate relationship down the track.

It is true that we learn about loving others by first loving ourselves (and no, a pun is not truly intended here, although you can enjoy one if you want [Wink] ). Our most intimate relationship is always with ourselves, and that's how we learn to relate healthily with others. [Smile]

[ 05-15-2013, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: WesLuck ]

Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there anyone else who wants to share their stories on this topic?
Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atypical
Neophyte
Member # 107555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atypical     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I have something to add to this.

I have petite hands, I always had. The main reason this bothered me is because I can barely reach an octave on a piano with one hand. While it's not usually a problem there are quite a few classical pieces that I'm simply not able to play, which did upset me a lot.

I wouldn't say I have grown to love this about myself, but I have made peace with it. While I might not ever be quite able to play the piano the way I want to I do like my hands. They suit me and there are so many other things I'm able to do outside of that.

While I do wish I could play the piano properly I'm not upset with my hands anymore.

--------------------
Signature that I might fill out later ~~~

Posts: 15 | From: Norway | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleigh H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got one. I've always been a really physical active person - I have two speeds, full steam ahead and asleep.

Well, my junior and senior years of high school I was too busy, too stressed and I took it out on my body. Basically I over ate. I didn't know it so much at the time but looking back I really didn't feel like I had much power and control in my own life so I used food consumption for that control and for soothing.

Then of course college was an adjustment, moving from the west coast to the midwest. Then, just when I'm starting to feel balanced and in control I was sexually assaulted. And I pretty much went right back to my unhealthy relationship with food. I didn't love my body like I wanted to.

So fast forward 5 years later and through some hard work, lots of self care and a much healthier relationship with food, I love every part of my body and I'm proud of the things my body can do.

Walking, running, yoga, biking, just being physical in general was a huge part of my healing and has become a big part of my self care. For me, going on a walk is therapeutic. Just being healthier in general (mentally, physically, spiritually) has led to healthier body image.

I want to continue loving my body and something that I think has really helped is to surround myself with positive messaging that supports every BODY.

--------------------
Haleigh

Posts: 176 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.