Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Nicotine+Contact=Addicted to partner?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nicotine+Contact=Addicted to partner?
pyrotech
Neophyte
Member # 107386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyrotech     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heyo people, pyro here.

So anyway, there's something I have been concerned about for a while. My girlfriend is a smoker, kinda a heavy smoker. She smokes around me if I follow her outside when she needs a hit and I haven't felt the urge to smoke so far. But I am worried about one thing: The Nicotine. Since she smokes pretty often there's probably a pretty big nicotine build up in her system, is there any way this could possibly lead to...er..."An addiction to heavy physical contact (E.g kissing, sex, ECT.) with my girlfriend?"

--------------------
Cheers!
Pyro.

Posts: 32 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evesforeva
Neophyte
Member # 57605

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evesforeva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AFAIK Nicotine doesn't build up in your system in such a way that you can transfer it to another person like a communicable disease. I think you have as much likelihood of getting addicted to being physical with her as you would if she drank lotsa coffee.

Moderate secondhand smoke can cause nicotine addiction, so you have a higher likelihood of becoming a smoker yourself. I'm not exactly sure if you can get addicted to secondhand smoke itself though.

If you're concerned about becoming addicted to nicotine, you should talk with your girlfriend about her smoking habits. You might be able to work out an agreement that satisfies both your needs.

Posts: 20 | From: Stanford, CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi pyro,

I did a little research and while there is some data to suggest that heavy exposure to secondhand smoke may make someone more likely to take up smoking and/or be susceptible to nicotine addiction, I don't think that would carry over to addiction to the source of the smoke, whether that's a particular smoker or a smoky environment.

Here's the study I found: http://www.nih.gov/news/health/may2011/nida-02.htm

Posts: 1316 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.