Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Finally got my period but it was induced?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finally got my period but it was induced?
BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BreakingSilence     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I haven't really had my period since February. I kept gaining weight. I wonder if it has anything to do with not getting a period? I took like 6 pregnancy tests so i knew it wasnt that.

Anyways I scheduled an appointment with the gyno, and on Sunday I started researching for remedies that can cause you to get your period if its been late. I researched " how to make your period start" and found tons of articles on how to get your period to start by drinking parsley tea. I wasn't sure if it was true or not so I went to the health store and picked some up. I prob drank 10 strong cups in 3 days, and finally got my period. Everything about it seems normal, cramps and all, just seemed a bit heavier. I should have asked before, but Is this actually safe? I was told the Dr. Would just give me medicine to induce my period? Is it common to have to kick start your period when you skip? Not exactly something i want to do every month. Will my period go back to normal? I canceled my appointment with the Dr because I figured I couldn't be examined on my period.

Thanks in advance [Smile]

--------------------
Sometimes the only thing we can do is accept what we have no control over.

Posts: 313 | From: :) | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Destiny's Child,

So far as I know, there's nothing dangerous about drinking parsley tea, though I'm not sure if the effects of doing so over a long period of time have been researched. I also have seen no research to validate whether parsley tea works to induce periods. Whether that's what did it, or it was just a coincidence, it's unlikely this will have done you harm.

Most doctors are not concerned about missed periods unless a patient hasn't had a period for six months or more, unless there are other physical problems or symptoms that warrant investigation. So, I'm not sure how true it is that your doctor would have given you medicine.

I can't advise you on whether you should continue using the parsley tea if you continue to skip periods. It's up to you to evaluate the information you've read about parsley tea, decide if it's from sources you find to be reputable, and decide on the best course of action for yourself.

As uncomfortable and unnerving as it is, missing a period for a few months, so long as there aren't other troubling symptoms (such as unexplained pain, spotting, etc), generally isn't something to be concerned about so long as pregnancy has been ruled out. Should you find,over time, that your period only comes every few months, you certainly can consult with your doctor and see if there's an underlying reason for this new pattern.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BreakingSilence     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Robin [Smile]

--------------------
Sometimes the only thing we can do is accept what we have no control over.

Posts: 313 | From: :) | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.