Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » How do I safely post nudes online?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do I safely post nudes online?
Emro
Neophyte
Member # 107262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do I safely post nude pictures of myself online without compromising my future?

I realize that something put onto the internet cannot ever be taken off. The fear of a future employer or friend finding my picture has made me not post anything online so far.

I am 18 years old, female (trans), have a partner that is ok with the activity, and have given it a great deal of forethought.

So, the questions:
What would be some tools and methods for me to safely anonymize pictures of myself?

How significant of a risk is posting my face along with otherwise compromising photos?

Are there any other ways I can protect nude pictures coming back to haunt me?

Thank you for your time! I hope this is the right section.

Posts: 4 | From: Teneesee | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the boards. Emro. [Smile]

Really, I think the given with doing this is that you have to think of the very LAST place or situation you'd want photos like this to show up, or the very last person who you'd ever want to see them.

Then you have to figure that unless you never show your face, and only have the most generic shots ever, with a body with nothing about it that's unique in some way, that could happen. No matter what you do.

Then you figure out how okay you are or aren't with that.

Really, I do think it all comes down to that. Ultimately, we can only do something so safely that isn't a safe thing pretty much by design, you know?

By all means, if you want to really reduce that risk, then you don't include your face, ever, you don't include any body part (or something like piercings, tattoos, scars, etc.) or location that can give any clue about who you are. And you don't post them anywhere that isn't very protected, like by a password, or is only shared with a lover or friend you deeply trust and have established a pattern of trust with.

Otherwise, I really think that the reality is that when we post something publicly, we've got to know it always has the possibility of getting out there and being seen by someone we probably don't want to have see it.

[ 04-06-2013, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.