Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Stress caused memory loss? Will it come back?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stress caused memory loss? Will it come back?
kristink8
Neophyte
Member # 96466

Icon 5 posted      Profile for kristink8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry this post is not related to sexual health, but I was hoping to find some sort of an answer.

I'm nearly 20 and female. Last summer I nearly got dropped out of college for my low GPA. Spring of 2012 I was under a lot of stress. I was seeing a psychiatrist for anxiety and my consoler at school for family issues. In february of 2011 my uncle, who was a jobless drunk who lived in the garage of my home, was hit by a drunk driver in the middle of the night while riding his bike home (he was also intoxicated). I lived (and still live) with my 80 y.o. grandmother, jobless and sick mother, and aunt who has paranoid schizophrenia. My uncle was very verbally abusive to my mom who was trying to get him to leave. She was successful for a while, but he would always came back. I had lived with in the same house as him for 3-5 years (i'm not good with dates). Now he's gone and I must deal with my aunt who constantly screams vulgar things to no one while she locks herself in her room. She has started to lash out at my grandmother now and there's not much that we can do because unless she threatens to hurt herself or someone else the mental health department can't do anything about it. by the way. she refuses to take some of her medications (i believe she only takes the one's that help her sleep) and it's difficult to get her to go to her doctors appointments.
Back to the school stuff: I had to make an appeal last summer and write a letter to my school explaining everything going on in my life so they would allow me to continue attending. I managed to get straight As that following semester which raised my GPA enough to pull me out of academic probation. In the process I lost my only (not so great/egotistical/selfish) close friend after meeting the man of my dreams.
During the appeal process (last summer) I was under constant stress and worry that my college would not let me back in. My mom constantly badgering me and worrying about it made me 10x more stressed and in frustration I started beating myself on my legs with my fists. I only did it once and have since then done it once more for a reason I can't remember. Which brings me to my topic of discussion.
I can't remember things. It's events that I can't remember. I can remember faces, names, etc. Don't get me wrong. I don't have early dementia or something. I can't always remember that I talked to my boyfriend on the phone the night before. It takes me 5-10 mins to start to draw out the memories and sometimes not at all. There are many conversations that I have had with my boyfriend and things that I've done with him that I can't recall no matter how hard I try. He can describe the entire event to me in detail and I wont be able to remember a thing. There are things that I've told my boyfriend during conversation that he tells me I've told him before, but I don't have even the slightest sense that i did. In high school (two years ago) I was able to remember most of my homework without having to write it down in my agenda. As time progressed I became more reliant on write things done. Now I must write down everything that I need to remember to do. I've recently started using the reminder app in my phone to remind me to do my work. and my schedule book is full of things, big and small for me to remember. My boyfriend has told me not to worry about it because my memory will return with time, but I have concern that it might not.

I know you guys probably aren't memory loss experts (or maybe you are?), but I just need someone to point me in a direction.

[ 04-12-2013, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: kristink8 ]

Posts: 12 | From: Charleston | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, this is way outside the scope of what we can help with: I'd recommend that you see a healthcare provider about this. If you're still seeing a psychiatrist, that would be a very good place to start.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.