Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Are regular menstrual cycles a myth?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are regular menstrual cycles a myth?
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had my period for about 5 years now (I am 18 years old) and my period is still notoriously irregular. I have been charting my cycles since day one and use monthlyinfo.com which creates a graph of the length of your cycles. My chart looks like an electrocardiograph of someone with a wildly irregular heart beat! I know that the first few years of menstruation are supposed to be irregular, but I just keep waiting and waiting for my cycle to become somewhat predictable but it never does!

It has me wondering, will my cycles ever become regular or is it a myth that this will happen? It isn't something I'm worried about, but it would be nice to know when my period is coming.

The standard deviation of my cycles is 6 days and for something around a month long, that seems rather large!

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 859 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roxie102
Peer Ambassador
Member # 72015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roxie102     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I don't know if this will help or not, but this has been my experience. I'm 19 so I've had my period for about 6 years, and mine still isn't clockwork regular. Mine were always pretty deviant, anywhere from 29 to 36 days. Several months ago, I had about 4 months of perfect periods - all 30 day cycles! I thought, oh, maybe finally my periods are getting regulated, but no. After the fourth one, I got my period on day 37, and I have no clue why. Since then, I've been getting them at about days 32 or 34, so hopefully it will stay like this.

As far as I know, it's not all that common to have perfect cycles, so don't feel bad. I probably need someone to check the validity of this, but I've read that cycles can deviate by 8 days and still be considered regular, so I know what you're going through is frustrating, but I don't think it's really a cause for concern. It takes some people's bodies longer to get into a routine, if ever, and that's okay. [Smile]

[ 03-23-2013, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: Roxie102 ]

Posts: 255 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regular cycles aren't a myth, it's just that there seems to be some widespread misunderstanding about what "regular" really means. A variation of a few days is still considered regular, and it's very rare for someone to have cycles that are exactly the same length all the time.

In your case, it doesn't sound like your cycle is all that irregular; plus, you've only been menstruating for five years, and it can take that long for things to settle down. It does seem like your body is getting into a pattern, though, so I wouldn't stress about it. If you're curious, you might want to try charting your cycles using basal temperature and cervical mucus: that can give you a better idea of when to expect your period, since you'll be able to see not just the length of your entire cycle, but the amount of time between ovulation and when your period starts, which might help you predict when your period is going to arrive.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5658 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CSandSourpatch
Activist
Member # 95598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CSandSourpatch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started getting my period at 12, and from the time I was about 13 or 14 to the time I was 17, I could predict almost down to the hour when I'd get my period. It was actually kind of scary. Of course, there were times when I was off by a day or two, but for the most part, my cycle was incredibly regular. Then I started losing weight, and it became really, really wonky. Now that I'm on the pill, I'm "regular" again, but I'm not sure what would happen if I went off.
Posts: 81 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleigh H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've wondered what happens when you go off birth control too and from what I've read everyone's body reacts differently. For some, its really dramatic and terrible and for others its a seamless transition. Since all of our bodies are different I think there is really only one way to find out - and that's going off of it and seeing what happens [Smile]

--------------------
Haleigh

Posts: 176 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.