Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Hey, it's a tampon question! :D

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hey, it's a tampon question! :D
Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kabith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Scarleteen!

So, I tried tampons in high school and HATED THEM. They always hurt to go in, it took me forever, and felt scratchy even when I had a heavy flow, and I always felt it moving around inside.

Today, I went into the bathrooom to change my pad... and didn't have any. All I had were a handful of tampons my mom gave me for a recent trip that I never used. So, I just thought I would try sticking one in there and seeing if it was all that bad.

Well, it isn't! Maybe it's because I've been more sexually active with my boyfriend (we've been fingering lately), or maybe it is because I am older and I have changed inside, but I didn't feel any pain or anything. Slight discomfort near the top (most inside part), but that's all.

So, my question is- Can you feel a tampon AT ALL when it is in? I pushed the applicator all the way up to the plunger part, then pushed the plunger all the way in while holding the applicator firmly in. The tampon when all the way in and the applicator snapped and released. So I am fairly certain that it is in there good.

However, when I get up and move around a bit, I feel a little bit of something. Maybe it is just the string moving around a little? I don't know!
XD

Also, I have a slight cramp now. It could be just from the period, but it started right after I put the tampon in. Did I push it in a little to aggressively, and that is why I have a little cramp?

All you ladies who have been wearing commercial tampons for years, give me your wisdom!

Posts: 120 | From: Washington State - USA | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skiesofgreen
Activist
Member # 46170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skiesofgreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I don't normally feel tampons once they're inserted nor, ideally, should you. Occasionally when things are on the drier side, the string gets tugged by how I've just moved or I bend in a particular way I might become aware of the tampon but over all no, I can't feel tampons while I'm wearing them.

If you're feeling discomfort near the top it may be possible that you've inserted the tampon too far for your personal comfort and that it's hitting your cervix or just a sensitive part of your vagina. Getting tampons to sit just right can take a bit of practice (in my experience) but once you do I don't find you notice them. It also might just be a general matter of adjusting to wearing them.

As for cramps, I have heard that tampons can increase cramps for some people but I'm not aware of the science behind this and someone else should probably confirm that before you take my word on it.

Posts: 245 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kabith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok dokie, I'll just keep trying it out I suppose! Thanks [Smile]
Posts: 120 | From: Washington State - USA | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Additionally, sometimes when you can feel tampons acutely, it has to do with using the wrong absorbency. If you use an absorbency that's greater than your particular flow at a given time requires, it can stay drier so it can be felt more.

And like, skiesofgreen said, sometimes feeling one also just means it's not in quite right. And I'd expect that to be something pretty common with anyone the first few times, even the first few cycles, really, they use them. Like with anything else, there's a learning curve. [Smile]

With cramps, tampons *can* actually slightly increase cramping for some people, simply because they absorb -- basically kind of draw out -- flow and vaginal moisture in general, which can cause some extra contracting. Not all users experience or feel that, though, or do all the time, and it could just as easily be that you have a slight cramp because you also have your period!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skiesofgreen
Activist
Member # 46170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skiesofgreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and another thing to keep in mind, I find that different tampons have different comfort levels. For instance, I'm not a big fan of tampons that expand primarily length wise because I personally find them uncomfortable when they get full, and that's something I just figured out by testing different brands over the years. So it might also be a matter of testing out different types and seeing what works for you if tampons are something you want to keep using. [Smile]
Posts: 245 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

Ok! I think I am using the normal absorbency right now, but maybe I'll buy a little pack of the slim ones and see if that makes a difference. Thanks!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.