Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » How can manage this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How can manage this?
nosalis
Neophyte
Member # 105716

Icon 9 posted      Profile for nosalis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got back from an appointment with my therapist a few hours ago, and I'm still feeling pretty raw and emotionally drained. This was our first visit in almost 8 months, but I have another appointment in two days. I've had moderate depression potentially ever since I was in grade school, but I started getting treatment, both therapy and medicine, a couple years ago. The meds are working out great.

I talked with my therapist about some of the issues I was facing in forming close relationships, especially in romantic relationships (I've never had one). We settled on a course of action.

I need to truly i.e. in a matter that will affect my subconscious accept myself and my feelings. I also need to be able to find some sort of release for all these feelings I have.

I need to focus more on my positive qualities, which will help with the third objective.

I need to change the way I think to reflect more positively on myself.

Here's my question: HOW? How can I change a way of thinking that's become so ingrained into who I am?
How can I do that and still be honest with myself? I know that my feelings of depression are part of me and that I have to live with them as part of myself. The thing is, I don't want to feel depressed. As far as I know, nobody with depression wants to feel depressed. I don't want to have those feelings of depression.

I told my therapist that if I could, I would completely expunge all those feelings of depression, without a trace left in my body, and then take those feelings and bury them in a hole in the ground and cover it up so no one would find them. But everything leaves traces...

My therapist told me that this won't take as much effort as I probably think it will, but I'm inclined to be skeptical. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Posts: 19 | From: North Central Texas | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nosalis
Neophyte
Member # 105716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nosalis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's supposed to be an "I" in the topic name. Obvious typos FTW.
Posts: 19 | From: North Central Texas | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It really seems to me that these are much better questions for the therapist who suggested these things to you then they are for a sex education resource.

Did THEY talk with you about some tools to start working on all of this, or suggest that these were goals they were setting with you to work on over time in therapy?

Of course, you might also want to talk with them about the notion that all of these things and feelings are about your depression, or would be solved by having no feelings of depression. because chances are, that's not all there is to this.

[ 03-21-2013, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.