Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » What do you want to know about sperm cells?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What do you want to know about sperm cells?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to start working on a big -- and hopefully geekily fun -- FAQ for the main site about sperm cells.

I feel like I have a pretty good idea, from the questions we already get, about what people do and don't know, and might want to know, but I figured I'd ask all of you here for any special requests if you've got'em. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CSandSourpatch
Activist
Member # 95598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CSandSourpatch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one I feel kind of ashamed I don't know: how many sperm does it take to get to/fertilize an egg? I mean, I know that it's only the one that ever really gets there, but I seem to recall something about it needing the help of friends (such as it were) to do so.
Posts: 81 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! We can get you that one with one of the oldest pieces on the site already, no need for waiting: Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

From that:
quote:
Because the sperm are super-sensitive to the environment outside the testes (or "balls"), only about 50 of sperm in an ejaculation will be able to reach an egg. That is why the body produces so many, because most of them die en route. But while only one sperm actually fertilize the egg (save in a rare type of twin), a couple hundred "helper" sperm play wingman to help that one get in.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CSandSourpatch
Activist
Member # 95598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CSandSourpatch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah! I managed to miss that the first 10 or so times I read that. [Razz] Thanks!
Posts: 81 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
That Strange CT child
Activist
Member # 104246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for That Strange CT child     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do sperm ever die inside a guy if they are not ejaculated out??

--------------------
It is my hope that what i ask here is answered for me and anyone else afraid to ask the same question :)

Posts: 133 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

I would've forgotten about adding that one: thanks for the reminder!

(I can tell you now, if you don't want to wait on that one, btw. Just give a shout, if so. [Smile] )

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

That Strange CT child
Activist
Member # 104246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for That Strange CT child     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure
TELL ME [Big Grin] [Razz]

--------------------
It is my hope that what i ask here is answered for me and anyone else afraid to ask the same question :)

Posts: 133 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Heh.

Long story short: not "died," but absorbed.

Sperm cells are absorbed by the body all the time (even if you do ejaculate often: millions of sperm cells never make it to an ejaculation when there is one), constantly, just like many of the other kinds of cells of the body are. Our bodies are kind of amazing recycling machines in that way.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

That Strange CT child
Activist
Member # 104246

What propels the flagellum of a sperm cell?? Can a sperm cell absorb nutrients?? Do sperm cells start out as normal cells before meiosis?? Can sperm be articicially produced?

--------------------

blueberry
Activist
Member # 101779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blueberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The flagellum is propelled by mitochondria inside the cell, which produce energy. And sperm cells start out as germ cells, which are cells that get separated from all the other cells in your body at the embryo stage, before they develop into spermatogonia (by mitosis) and spermatocytes before starting to go through meiosis. As far as I know, they can't absorb any nutrients after they have matured (and they don't contain that much to begin with, just enough to reach the egg cell), but not 100% sure on this one.

(Sorry, I'm a biology student and this is part of what I have to study for my exam [Big Grin] )

Posts: 66 | From: Scandinavia | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Don't be sorry! We love fellow geeks around here. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

treetops
Activist
Member # 44381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treetops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is great.
Posts: 161 | From: europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m_azul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard they're pretty delicate little cells. Can they live if they are on a females lower abdomen, near mons?

Also, totally off from that past question, how do they preserve sperm cells for inseminations?? I've always wondered that!

Posts: 281 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
That Strange CT child
Activist
Member # 104246

They flash freeze the cells

--------------------

Patricia H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patricia H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, using liquid nitrogen. Actually got to prepare a few myself when I worked briefly at a fertility clinic. [Big Grin] Although we don't put raw semen in and dunk it in to be frozen; it's quite a process that involves separating/filtering out dead cells and gunk from the semen to retain only viable sperm cells, and then concocting a kind of anti-freeze to prevent the delicate cells from dying/becoming damaged by the sudden change in temperature. Depending if the sperm is to be used for intrauterine insemination (IUI) or in-vitro fertilization (IVF) processes, a good lab tech can have it done in anywhere between 30 to 45 minutes, tops.

--------------------
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum. - Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Posts: 234 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.