Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Looking for advice about Paranoia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for advice about Paranoia
ParanoidConfused
Activist
Member # 102977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParanoidConfused     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So as some of the staff here have seen with my other posts, I can get a bit overly paranoid about the whole pregnancy risk thing. I mean, I do well enough to protect my gf from getting pregnant, yet the whole "what if" thing won't leave me be.

It also tends to get worse as the time for her menstrual flow nears. Like today, her period is due sometime this week and she's having all her usual PMS symptoms and is reassuring me I have nothing to worry about, yet the paranoia won't leave. The symptoms themselves are pretty standard from what I read too: Slight cramping, bloating, fatigue and slight mucus discharge are all normal for her, yet I still feel the need to go symptom searching and needlessly worry myself.

Any thoughts to help with this? Obviously the first one should be for me to stop symptom searching every little thing and ask her to test if I really feel that nervous, but often times it will stay on my mind until her bleeding starts. Dunno what to do...

Posts: 42 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you considered taking a break from sex for now, until you learn to manage these anxieties? (And for sure, part of that is probably not searching for symptoms endlessly.)

Sometimes intense anxiety around pregnancy can actually come from other anxieties. How is the rest of your relationship with your girlfriend? How do you feel about having sex?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5775 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ParanoidConfused
Activist
Member # 102977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParanoidConfused     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been 9 months since we started dating their have been no fights and she's the sweetest person I know. The sex is very satisfying and the conversations we tend to have afterwards are what I usually look forward to the most.

We've discussed taking breaks and have done so in the past, though they were usually short breaks of about a week or two.

It might be my school stress starting to pile up on me that's causing the anxiety, but I've always been a nervous person to begin with.

Posts: 42 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I ask what your upbringing was like around sex and sexuality? What kind of attitudes were/are there towards sex from your parents or other relatives?

With the anxiety, is it just around pregnancy, or is it more general? Have you ever talked to a healthcare provider about it?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5775 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allie R
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 102566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you read some of our articles pertaining to effectiveness of contraception and pregnancy risk alleviate some of your nerves? Being proactive and informed in that respect can do wonders.

Also, maybe just practicing some relaxing exercises could help with your general stress as well? Even just taking a step back and taking a breather from everything every once in a while, too- including sex, like Karybu suggested.

--------------------
AAR

Posts: 109 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ParanoidConfused
Activist
Member # 102977

Sex was never really discussed, but at the same time it was never really forbidden, the same goes for sexuality. Several of my relatives have had things like teen pregnancies and the like but the impression I was given was always more along the lines of "You're a smart kid, don't make the same mistakes as your relatives." or "Remember, school comes first, after that you have all the time in the world to do as you please."

And yes the anxiety is always just about pregnancy. I've never discussed it with a healthcare provider as I'm still living with my parents and only go to the doctor when they bring me.

ParanoidConfused
Activist
Member # 102977

Yes, I have read the articles on effectiveness and do try to double up on protection (currently using Spermicidal condoms and Spermicidal lubricant). Even with those numbers enforcing the fact that a risk is unlikely, I'm just sort of paranoid by all the what ifs.

I do often take time every day to just sit alone and draw or listen to music so that I can relax and it does help alleviate things.

Allie R
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 102566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is your girlfriend aware of your anxiety? Perhaps she can be a source of reassurance as well!

What I can tell you is, I'm glad you're staying responsible and on top of things, but it must be exhausting to be feeling this way every month, or post-sexual activity even. It might help you to know that based on the knowledge that you possess on pregnancy prevention and the precautions you're taking, you have very little to worry about [Smile]

[ 02-26-2013, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Allie A ]

--------------------
AAR

Posts: 109 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ParanoidConfused
Activist
Member # 102977

Yes, she's often the number one source for reassurance and does her best to put up with my antics. We laugh about it pretty often, especially when my paranoia gets all weird and makes me believe in super slim chances that aren't really viable.

The paranoia isn't exhausting to deal with, it's more of just an annoyance that makes me ask "Are you feeling ok? Nothing weird right?" every now and then.
Thank you all for the advice. I've been slowly calming down as you've been answering my questions and now I'm just distracting myself with tv shows and homework, lol. Skyping with my gf also provides more relief.

Allie R
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 102566

I'm glad to hear that!

--------------------
AAR

ParanoidConfused
Activist
Member # 102977

All I really have left to do is play the waiting game. It should be due this week or next week, unless it decides to change again (She recently began tracking her cycles).

Thank you guys again for everything. I'll do my best to quit symptom searching and just have a cup of tea and wait.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.