Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Breast,Bras & Birth control?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Breast,Bras & Birth control?
LittleMissO
Neophyte
Member # 101116

Icon 8 posted      Profile for LittleMissO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try to make this brief:
On day 14 on my first month of birth control the condom broke and I took a plan b. I got my period during the placebo week as normal .
BUT ever since that period, my breasts have hurt and grown/swelled up. they fit better in a few bras I own better than normal- but they don't fit well at ALL in my old D-cup bras. I'm now finishing my second pack and have had no other issues. I also had 2 negative pregnancy test ( one at home and the other at the doctor) . I'm tired of painful boobies and ill fitting bra's ! [Frown]

My question is - will this change be permanent? Should I invest in different bra's or let this run its course? How long will it be?

--------------------
Miss O

Posts: 38 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi LittleMissO,

Wow, that sounds uncomfortable.

My best guess is that your body reacted to the large amount of hormones (daily birth control plus emergency contraception equals a lot of hormones at once) and this is how it's manifesting. Since you did take the EC, it's hard to know whether this is a side effect of the daily birth control. I'd suggest giving it a little time.

That said, a properly fitting bra might help with the discomfort, so you might want to invest in one or two new ones, unless what you have is comfortable.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleMissO
Neophyte
Member # 101116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleMissO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay thanks [Smile] Will this change be permanent? From what you've seen or heard about similar situations?

--------------------
Miss O

Posts: 38 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that your breasts are sore likely means there's some sort of swelling. I wouldn't expect that to last, and if it does and you're still this sore in a few months I'd suggest consulting with your healthcare provider. It can take a few months for side effects from starting birth control to subside.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleMissO
Neophyte
Member # 101116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleMissO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
alright. Thanks !

--------------------
Miss O

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're welcome. And if the pain is too much, you certainly can consult your healthcare provider on managing it.

If you consume a lot of caffeine, you might want to back off on that to see if it helps. I know that's what is recommended for fibro- cystic breast pain, so thought I'd pass it along.

--------------------
Robin

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.