Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Vulva cuts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vulva cuts
K83
Neophyte
Member # 80080

Icon 1 posted      Profile for K83     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scarleteen! I have a health question and am unable to get to a doctor in the immediate future so I hope it is OK to ask here. I know I am a little older than your target - please answer other questions before mine.

I have one small cut on my labia and another on my perineum. I have no idea where they came from - they have appeared rather suddenly a few days ago and are painful to touch. I have googled possible causes (but I don't like to trust results on google too much which is mainly why I am asking here) and one suggestion that came up was a yeast infection. This interested me as I have a history of yeast infections. Could a yeast infection cause small vulvar cuts? If so, how can I treat them? I've put some cream on them (it's called E45 but I don't know the generic name I'm sorry) but maybe I need Canesten or something. I don't want to make them worse. I haven't had sex in over a week and they didn't appear until days after I did, so I don't know if it's connected - however I do sometimes get yeasty after sex so maybe?

They are not blistery and I have no other 'typical' herpes symptoms which leads me to believe that's not what they are. They're just cuts, but they are problematic. I will go to a doctor soon (hopefully this week) but if anyone has a suggestion meantime I'd really appreciate it as they are very uncomfortable to live with right now!

Thanks so much. [Smile]

Posts: 17 | From: Scotland | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely, yeast infections can cause small fissures and sometimes do.

But even though you have had yeast infections before, if this is radically different then they have been in the past for you, I'd not advise trying to self-treat for yeast, but instead that you do get a healthcare professional to take a look here.

You should be able to do that at any local clinic: do you need some help finding where you can go and be seen quickly?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K83
Neophyte
Member # 80080

Icon 1 posted      Profile for K83     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's okay thanks, I can call my doctor. They only do same-day appointments though and I work 25 miles from where I live, so it can be hard to schedule. I just wanted to check I was doing the right thing meantime so I'm more comfortable (especially as I drive to work and then sit all day, and it was starting to get uncomfortable towards the end of my working day today). I shower daily and I always check for yeast as I've had it so often before, and tonight I finally managed to get a mirror and have a proper look and there they were. So awkward!

Sometimes during sex it can feel a little... tight and tear-y upon first penetration, if that even makes any sense. Not that I am too tight or anything but I've had a slight feeling there that might have been the cut getting worse, for example. I'm not sure. I only noticed it the last week or so. Sorry to ramble on - I'm not actually overly worried if it's 'just'a a yeast infection (as you advise I will get checked to make sure!) but it's just how to treat such an awkward area that's often in use when I go to the loo and so on.

(Thank you for replying, by the way!)

Posts: 17 | From: Scotland | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In terms of sex feeling like you describe, I assume you're talking about sex with vaginal entry, like intercourse?

If so, are you a) always using additional lubricant (and one low on glycerin, if you're inclined to yeast), and b)being sure not to HAVE sex with entry if and when you have a yeast infection or think you may be getting one?

If you're not doing both of those things, they'll likely help.

Also, if you don't engage in sex with condoms and your partner hasn't been checked for yeast and other infections, you might suggest they do that, as that might be a player if you're getting infections often.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K83
Neophyte
Member # 80080

Yes, I did mean vaginal entry (intercourse) - sorry for not being clearer. My partner is cis male and I'm cis female.

We usually don't use lube, no. I often think "oh we should get some!" but never remember. Usually the first couple of times I don't feel I need any, but after that I do think I might benefit from it (we are long distance and see each other about two weekends in four, so we have sex a few times over a couple of days). I always do make sure if I use lube to avoid anything that will trigger yeast (I got all clued up on that after my last horrible bout) but maybe I should just use lube much more often in general?

To be honest sometimes I think I might have a yeast infection but I'm not 100% sure. I haven't had a full-on super itchy one for a while now, but I have had instances where I felt a bit uncomfortable. I don't feel I can go to the doctor every time I have one so I do tend to use Canesten and/or take fluconazole which I get online.

My boyfriend has had yeast before but not recently. I'm not sure if I passed mine on or what happened! But I wonder if maybe it is a factor more than I think. I just texted him to ask if he noticed anything unusual the last time we saw each other so I'll see what he says. We do use condoms, but not the entire time we have vaginal intercourse, so that is a possibility. Thanks for all the suggestions, it's helpful.

Heather
Member # 3

For sure, not using lubricant when we need it makes us more susceptible to tears and infections. Plus, it also doesn't tend to feel very good, so sounds like you need to make lube a priority.

It also sounds like you may need to curb how much sex -- especially sex with entry -- you're engaging in all at once, or accept that if you do that, your body is going to be way more likely to be like, "Hey! Too much!" in ways like abrasions and soreness.

We can't really pass yeast back and forth, but if one partner has a yeast infection, it can incline the other to develop one. So, I'd suggest you both get checked out soon, then make using condoms properly -- which means from start to finish -- a priority, too.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

K83
Neophyte
Member # 80080

Yeah, that all sounds sensible. I've had sex more often in a similar time frame before, but never had any issues like this. I wonder if just things change as we get older and then our bodies want us to do things differently. I do really enjoy sex with my boyfriend, but I guess sometimes I have that feeling of "well if we're hanging out all weekend and we don't have sex, there's something wrong and I won't feel as good!" and occasionally I have had it when I haven't thought it was the best idea body-wise. Nevertheless I haven't had cuts before which is why it's never been an actual problem (I had a UTI once, but that was easily enough cured).

I wasn't actually sure about the whole 'passing back and forth' regarding yeast, so thanks for clearing that up. I know we should use condoms properly, it's just something we don't tend to do (from start to finish I mean). I do that in an informed way (as in I know the potential consequences and how to deal with them) but this might be the issue to change what I do.

I am probably offloading too much now - it's rare I get a chance to discuss how I feel about sex etc so that's probably why!

Heather
Member # 3

No worries: these talks are what we're here for! [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

K83
Neophyte
Member # 80080

Hello, I'm back (sorry) because I made an appointment with the doctor but the earliest I could get one was next Tuesday! A whole week of worrying about this, which isn't great. Just wanted to ask should I put anything on the cuts or shall I just leave them till I know what they actually are?

I'm finding it hard to believe they will heal because of where they're located and how often I have to move around in a day - surely they won't have much chance to heal? I'm probably being silly, but I get quite anxious sometimes and this is one of those times.

Sorry to keep up with this - I'm just a bit stuck without medical help till next week and don't want to make things worse.

Heather
Member # 3

I'd leave them, and just be sure to stick to loose, natrual fiber clothing and undergarments.

One very mild DIY thing that might help is to try taking a bath with a little bit of apple cider vinegar -- no bubbles or anything else -- in the water. About a half a cup of it, in a not-too-hot bath that's shallow, but deep enough that when you sit in it, your genitals are submerged. That can help restore the pH balance of the vagina and vulva and help those fissures start to heal. Just be sure to rinse off with plain, cool water after (which should feel good) and pat your genitals dry before dressing.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

K83
Neophyte
Member # 80080

Thank you! I will try that at the weekend if they haven't healed. My mum suggested a salt water bath (she said that helped her after childbirth when she had similar issues, obviously more severe!) but that sounded a bit ouchy. I just want to do right by my body and encourage it to get better.
Heather
Member # 3

Yeah, I'd not advise salt with possible yeast. The diluted vinegar also shouldn't sting, though it might feel a little tingly. Salt water would likely sting, and would also dry the tissue out some, which isn't what you want.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.